• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Huawei Ascend P1 LTE (Softbank Huawei Stream 201HW)

Hi,

I have recently bought the Softbank's version of Huawei Ascend P1 LTE (Softbank Huawei Stream 201HW). I got the phone unlocked (SIM unlock) before leaving Japan and using it in India.

I am able to make calls and send SMS. But the data connection does not work.

I have already tried the below options.

- I manually configured the APN settings in the mobile as provided by the service provider and restarted the handset multiple times.
- The service provider has already confirmed that the data is enabled on their side both for the SIM card and my handset.
- I tried using the same SIM card in other handset (Xperia Neo) and I am able to access the data.
- Did factory reset as last resort and restarted the phone but still no use.

After trying all these option it appears to me that the firmware is the actual culprit (Only my guess). The firmware is customized by Softbank for use on its network. When I was using the handset on softbank's network, I used to access the data without any APN settings configured. I believe softbank has embedded these settings within the firmware. The firmware details are as below

Model number: 201HW
Android version: 4.0.4
Baseband version: M8960A-AAAANAZM-2.0.014011
Kernel version: 3.0.8
Build Number: U9201LV100R001C111B147

Is it possible to to get rid of this custom firmware and install the stock firmware provided by Huawei. If so, can anyone advise on how to proceed with this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones