• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Huawei(Honor 8x) GPS power issue

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind but I've joined this forum just to ask one question....as it's about to result in the hammering to death of a 2 week old Honor 8x which is annoying me beyond words. Other than this issue it's a great phone, but as I bought it solely for this use (GPS tracking), it's just zero use unless I can resolve this.

I hike a lot and run an app called ViewRanger. It either follows a route you've pre-loaded (gpx file) or records a track as you walk. I've used this app on other phones and it's absolutely faultless, but not on this Honor. I've attached an image of what can only be the GPS failing and most likely I presume caused by the phone trying to power down the GPS possibly when the screen goes off to save battery (obviously I can't just leave the screen on for several hours). The points you see plotted I'd imagine are where I've looked at the phone screen and the GPS has probably 'woken up' and plotted a new location..then the app just draws a straight line between the 2 instead of following the exact route walked.

The phone hasn't had the Pie 9 update so I'm running Oreo 8.1.0 with EMUI 8.2.0 and I notice it's Power Genius 8.2.15.

Does anyone have an idea to help please? I could do with an understanding of the battery power usage settings which are not too clear to me how to set this up correctly.

I really don't want to have to return this phone as it's a cracking phone and I'm sure it's just a settings issue.

I spoke with Honor technical today who, partly because of the language barrier, were of practically zero use..they just had me clear the cache down, reset the phone and then blamed the app!! Customer support from them looks abysmal so far!!

Cheers all

Attachments

• Whitby.gif
    Whitby.gif
    220 KB · Views: 464
i know nothing about your phone or app. i doubt that because the screen is off that gps shuts down like that. android in general is pretty good at managing power consumption, but if an app is running in the background and needs gps coordinates i don't think android would limit it.

you may want to contact the developers and see what they say.

Upvote 0
Please post here if you find an answer. Same issue here - and I wrote the mapping app I use! Seems the gps is truned off the instant you press the on-off button or when the screen times out. One solution I found was to set the screen timeout to 'never', set the brightness to low (but not too low that you can never see it to revert back!) and never touch the on-off button, and carry a space battery block with you. I intend to put an option in my app that blacks out the screen (tap to get the screen back) - that way it uses less power. Oh - and go in to the battery settings, App launch, and set the app to 'Manage manually'.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones