• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hung on 4G LTE Screen on boot

Hi,

I have a Rezound that hangs on boot in the 4g lte screen indefinitely (well, at least 45 minutes...). It's using power as the battery gets warm. Here's info:
- battery is fully charged
- I've pulled sim card, sdcard, and even tried them from another rezound, no change
- I can get into the bootloader
- I tried wiping the cache via recovery -- no change in behavior
- I have access to another Rezound
- I can look at the phone using the Android SDK (e.g. adb shell) but can't see into the sdcard (permission denied).
- I took it to a Verizon store -- useless. They just want to sell us a new phone!

I have not yet tried a factory reset. I'd like to be able to save data first (there is no recent backup of phone contacts or photos that ideally can be saved).

What I'm going to do next:
- put sdcard from "bad" phone into "good" phone and copy photos and see if I can find/copy contacts info (not sure where it lives on the card, if at all).
- hope some advice comes from this forum!

Any suggestions as to next steps for getting this phone back in working order, or verifying that it's bad (I don't think so), and/or best way to backup existing data are much appreciated!

George

So... the problem is resolved but with some interesting info that may be of use to others. I forgot to mention that the phone got in this state after the battery ran out while it was on, and if it matters, well away from any cell signal (off grid).

I started the rooting process to attempt to recover contacts before doing a factory reset. I unlocked the bootloader using instructions from htcdev.com. After a reboot it got past the 4glte screen and proceeded to "upgrade android" but I'm not sure why. It then went through the process of registering the phone as if I'd done a factory reset (but I hadn't). The end result is that the phone is back but the contacts were, in fact, lost. I'm not sure why or how.

In short lessons learned
- backup well and backup often
- don't bother talking with Verizon when there's a problem unless you are under warranty

Sorry for the spam,

George

Upvote 0
So... the problem is resolved but with some interesting info that may be of use to others. I forgot to mention that the phone got in this state after the battery ran out while it was on, and if it matters, well away from any cell signal (off grid).

I started the rooting process to attempt to recover contacts before doing a factory reset. I unlocked the bootloader using instructions from htcdev.com. After a reboot it got past the 4glte screen and proceeded to "upgrade android" but I'm not sure why. It then went through the process of registering the phone as if I'd done a factory reset (but I hadn't). The end result is that the phone is back but the contacts were, in fact, lost. I'm not sure why or how.

In short lessons learned
- backup well and backup often
- don't bother talking with Verizon when there's a problem unless you are under warranty

Sorry for the spam,

George
Well, you should have read thoroughly... The unlock process does a factory default as part of the unlock. The "upgrading android apps" is because the cache and dalvik partitions got wiped during the unlocking process and had to be rebuilt, which results in the "upgrade" message, even though its not upgrading. Also, the data partition gets wiped when unlocking, which causes the factory default condition. This is all spelled out quite plainly on just about every site that talks about this.

Backing up contacts should never be an issue if you are setup properly, all contacts should be Google contacts and will then be backed up automatically all the time to your Google account. SMS messages should be backed up with a third party tool (root not required) and all pictures/music/files should be backed up manually. Apps should not be backed up but should be restored via the Play Store if you are changing ROMs to avoid issues with incompatibilities.

Verizon tech support is actually pretty good, as long as you are bone stock, and locked, and have no issues with factory defaulting. Anything beyond that they cannot, and generally will not, help you.

Anyways, glad you got everything working... welcome to the real world of Android!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones