• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I Can't Decide Droid x, Fascinate or thunderbolt

I can't decide my upgrade is at the end of this month. I'm kind of wanting to do just a one year contract since no more VZW NE2 so..... if I do the X or Fascinate I'm doing a one year pre owned since its so much cheaper, and the thunderbolt I would get a two year from amazon its 179.99$. The Fascinate 109$ and x 169$ from vzw. I'm kinda picky phone wise I want one good with games (like dungeon Defenders) and with a decent battery also want it to be good at everyday things so it doesn't lag on the homescreen. Also has to be easily rooted and good roms. I don't have 4g where I live and probably won't for a long time. My current phone is the OG droid and want a major upgrade. Well Help much appriciated

If you want one that's good with games, I would suggest the Facinate. It has the best processor/gpu combo out there. From what I've read, it can also be rooted/flash roms easily. As for lag, this is a tough one. I've heard the Facinate lags somewhat on the homescreen due to bloaty touchwiz. But with another launcher or another rom, you may be able to negate that issue.

I have a droid x and thunderbolt. They both are good phones depending on your needs. The droid x is solid and has excellent call quality. The thunderbolt is speedy an great for surfing web if you have lte. And let me tell ya, lte is super fast. I'm very impressed. The only down side to the thunderbolt is battery.

Upvote 0
I personally would steer clear of HTC. IMO they suck at hardware and Sense really slows phones down with out adding any real benefit.

I really like Samsung since I upgraded to the Nexus S. The AMOLED screen is incredible. The GPU is great.

I had the Droid X and really don't have too many complaints about it. MOTO builds the best hardware hands down! I do not like MOTOblur at all so the locked bootloader and the problems with custom ROMs and kernels bugged me.

I really love stock Android and since none of the phones you want have it, I personally would recommend the fascinate.

Upvote 0
I have all three and there are things I like about each. Fascinate is a bit laggy at times and only currently has 2.1 with no clue when 2.2 will be available. It has some halfway decent roms. DX is easy to root and good roms also. I like the feel of that over the fascinate. Now for the thunderbolt. I love this phone. Sense is not bad and does not slow this phone down any. It is quick even on 3g, The gpu could be a bit better but works for everything well. Battery is debatable on the thunderbolt. Some are getting good results and some are not. I think this has a lot to how the manage their aps and syncs. I get pretty good results and about on par with my fascinate and x. My best suggestion is go play with them all and see what you like the best.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help everyone, I think the fascinate will be good for me especially with it being cheapest on a one year contract and I won't have any 4g anytime soon. Anyone know if theres a good stock froyo rom for the fascinate without bing and touchwiz? I currently love all the Roms I can find for the droid. I used to have a samsung omnia and loved using roms on that. Android makes it a whole lot easier though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones