• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I finally received Android 13 but...

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
I got Android 13 OTA yesterday. It was
1.02 GB update but took only 2 hours. After the install, I started going over the new items I read about in one of the articles. It had two changes under Wallpaper & Style. First was the additional color schemes to match your Wallpaper, which I have.
Then, there should be a setting for icons to match the color scheme. The article from Android Police said, "Material You also lets you change the color of your home screen icons to match the rest of your theme. The feature was introduced in Android 12 in beta. It's still labeled as a beta feature now, but Android 13 officially extends support for these color-changing app icons to third-party apps.". The article on Reddit says the same. But I don't have the icon setting. I wonder if it's because of my Verizon carrier or could Google have dropped it in the final release?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: ocnbrze
According to one of the articles, "It's still labeled as a beta feature now, but Android 13 officially extends support for these color-changing app icons to third-party apps."
if it is still beta than i would be patient on what is going on on your phone. maybe another update might fix your issue.

Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
As I understand it we have to wait for the third-party app developers to start using themable icons.

Many Google apps have been updated since Android 12's release to support color theming; Android 13 makes that option available to all apps, but the app developers have to get on board. It will likely take 6+ months for the majority of apps to get updated for that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones