• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I hate to bring nagativity into the boards but...

4.3" will be the new normal in less than a year. OEMs aren't going to put more features onto phones with small screens because it doesn't make sense. Kind of like putting a Hemi V8 into a subcompact. People aren't going to want to vidchat and use LTE/Wimax on puny screens.

The new normal will be whatever Samsung can spit out at their factories in a timely manner :)

Upvote 0
4.3" is what people are used to from GPS devices, and the screen dimensions actually fit well in the hand if the depth/thickness of the device is reasonable. HTC and others easily can make phones thinner than Evo in future releases. The only reason Evo is thick now is to accommodate the battery.

GPS has nothing to do with it. Most people do NOT carry a strictly GPS device that's 4.3" in their pockets.

Upvote 0
4.3" will be the new normal in less than a year.
yeah right

The only reason Evo is thick now is to accommodate the battery.
Are you serious? The strength of the evo's battery is the same as in my galaxy s, and the same i had in my htc droid inc which i bought the htc touch pro 2 battery for. I would have to say that the evo is probably huge due to the 4g? I mean the iphone is way smaller and has everything the evo has hardware wise except for 4g. Its one thing for the evo to be big simply because of its screen size but the thing is also very thick.

GPS has nothing to do with it. Most people do NOT carry a strictly GPS device that's 4.3" in their pockets.
Exactly right, these are phones, not gps devices what sit in the same spot.

I gotta say though, from my own personal experience (and others too I'm sure) the size of this thing is quite comfortable and hits my sweet spot :p
Well of course some people are going to prefer the 4.3" or the evo and droid x wouldn't sell at all. I'm just saying that the favorite size by most people isn't going to be 4.3" and product reviewers are supposed to consider everyone's taste.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones