• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I have a question about AOSP roms/themes

skater95

Android Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2010
In a house, by a street
I had the LG Ally at one point, it was AOSP, and I didn't like it, it was pretty boring phone. I rooted it and changed the roms and themes, then I had the Incredible, I really liked sense UI and rooted it as well, traded it for the Droid X, I like motoblur, it was different, never rooted it. Now I got the Fascinate and I love TouchWiz and all the extra shortcuts it has. I guess what I'm getting at is why change and root for AOSP? Isn't one of the purposes of having this phone is for the different UI? I know it slows it down, and it takes up space, and some people that's all they care about, but then why not just got an AOSP phone?

I'm just wondering, and I don't wanna start a war..

I had the LG Ally at one point, it was AOSP, and I didn't like it, it was pretty boring phone. I rooted it and changed the roms and themes, then I had the Incredible, I really liked sense UI and rooted it as well, traded it for the Droid X, I like motoblur, it was different, never rooted it. Now I got the Fascinate and I love TouchWiz and all the extra shortcuts it has. I guess what I'm getting at is why change and root for AOSP? Isn't one of the purposes of having this phone is for the different UI? I know it slows it down, and it takes up space, and some people that's all they care about, but then why not just got an AOSP phone?

I'm just wondering, and I don't wanna start a war..

Its a valid question......i think if there was a vanilla/aosp phone with good specs most of us in the root crowd would have bought it....unfortunately there isn't on verizon

I personally want aosp because its significantly faster....and a truer google.experience...,there is more that can be done theme wise...,and its just a joy imo to use

Some people prefer the oem skins and that's fine....but im not one of them. :)

Upvote 0
Its a valid question......i think if there was a vanilla/aosp phone with good specs most of us in the root crowd would have bought it....unfortunately there isn't on verizon

I personally want aosp because its significantly faster....and a truer google.experience...,there is more that can be done theme wise...,and its just a joy imo to use

Some people prefer the oem skins and that's fine....but im not one of them. :)

How exactly is a "more true google experience"?

I don't even really understand how this could be an Android phone, it doesn't even have Google on it by default, which in my opinion is a fail..

Upvote 0
How exactly is a "more true google experience"?

I don't even really understand how this could be an Android phone, it doesn't even have Google on it by default, which in my opinion is a fail..

Which is more of a reason to want aosp....to have no traces of bing

Aosp is built from android source...,so its about as google as you can get

Although it is pretty simple to* google* this phone....there are tutorials all over this forum. :)

Upvote 0
Which is more of a reason to want aosp....to have no traces of bing

Aosp is built from android source...,so its about as google as you can get

Although it is pretty simple to* google* this phone....there are tutorials all over this forum. :)

Good points there. I still like the customizations the phone companies like HTC, Samsung go through to make the phone theirs.. but I guess that's why we root, to customize our phones to how we want it..

And thanks for not being a douche, and answering my questions, and not be a dick about it :)

Upvote 0
Good points there. I still like the customizations the phone companies like HTC, Samsung go through to make the phone theirs.. but I guess that's why we root, to customize our phones to how we want it..

And thanks for not being a douche, and answering my questions, and not be a dick about it :)

Not a problem...,everyone has their own preferences when it comes to how they want their devices setup...,whn i had my incredible i certainly enjoyed the sense based roms....especially skyraider...,even if most of the time id be on cm or ruby

I think, for me at least, i want aosp most on this phone because it hasn't been available for the 4 months i've been using it....touchwiz to me isn't as good a skin as sense (or even blur) so i do all i can to be rid of it

But in the end its best to have more roms to choose from so everyone can come closer to what they're looming for. :)

Upvote 0
Umm ... what exactly is ASOP? Is it an os? A phone? I here the term thrown around a lot, but have no idea what it is/means. Search just brings up posts like this and posts for themes with the ASOP word in them.

aosp=android open source project

essentially roms that have been built from google source...rather than modified roms based off of carrier skins

examples of aosp roms: cyanogen mod, gem series (ruby, obsidian, emerald), miui

advantages are usually speed and customizations put in...many in the root crowd like them, others feel the need to have access to samsung/carrier apps and customizations so they dont like them

often theyre a work in progress and have bugs/issues that also scare away the casual user

Upvote 0
aosp=android open source project

essentially roms that have been built from google source...rather than modified roms based off of carrier skins

examples of aosp roms: cyanogen mod, gem series (ruby, obsidian, emerald), miui

advantages are usually speed and customizations put in...many in the root crowd like them, others feel the need to have access to samsung/carrier apps and customizations so they dont like them

often theyre a work in progress and have bugs/issues that also scare away the casual user
:eek: Mighty fast trigger finger there :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones