• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have revived my Galaxy Nexus!

I have a Note 10.1 and a Tab 2 7 that run 4.0.3 and 4.1, respectively. I keep them because their UI remains skeuomorphic (I simply can't stand flat) and everything that I need them to do (the Note can play games, watch YouTube via the web browser, and play music fine, the smaller 7" Tab 2 can still read books via the built-in Kindle app that I have never updated) they do just fine.

Word your post a bit differently and it makes it seem silly. Imagine if you had asked 'how do you use a '78 Mercury Maquis today?' and people might prefer the older styling and far more comfortable ride over a modern car as well. I mean, people are different, and have different preferences and needs/wants. The world isn't the homogenized dystopia you expect it to be, even though that's the whole point of the modern movement, that 'you will own nothing and be happy' and 'everything is a subscription service' and 'we should all use the same devices, newer is always better, never turn updates off'.

Sorry, but that world to me is hell. While futurists might prefer collectivism, I myself prefer individualism.

Upvote 0
Imagine if you had asked 'how do you use a '78 Mercury Maquis today?'
That'd be a silly question, because a car's a car. You put gas in in, and you drive it. Android 4 on the other hand: Good luck running bank apps, payment apps, news apps, pretty much anything other than the basic apps. Android 4 is limiting in the modern world, no way around that. You may deem those limitations are worth it to run Android 4, but the fact remains, there are limitations.

But I do have another reason for asking: I have some Android 4 tablets that are just sitting in a drawer. It might be nice to get some use out of them.

Upvote 0
The only things I even use my phone for are text messages, Google searches, music playback (offline MP3s) and calls. I could do that on Android 2.3, if the networks still allowed it. As for tablets, they work with all their in-built apps, and since they're Samsung they came pre-loaded with more than enough to satisfy my needs, with the exception of the games that I had to sideload from backed up APKs.

Nothing modern appeals to me or satisfies any need that I might have. I don't need banking apps, or Disney+ or subscription stuff and don't have any intention of my phone replacing my laptop.

Upvote 0
Word your post a bit differently and it makes it seem silly. Imagine if you had asked 'how do you use a '78 Mercury Maquis today?' and people might prefer the older styling and far more comfortable ride over a modern car as well. I mean, people are different, and have different preferences and needs/wants.
OT:

Actually how does one use a late 70s huge gas-guzzler like that, e.g. how well would it perform on modern low-octane unleaded gas/petrol, without burning out the valves and destroying the engine. I assume that unleaded fuel as now the norm in the US, like it is in the UK, Europe, Asia, etc. And things like 5-Star and High-Test gas/petrol have long been unavailable.
Also now in the UK, at least, many cities have so-called Ultra Low Emission Zones now. Where if you go driving an old polluting vehicle, you have to pay stiff penalties or fines.

Upvote 0
Still lasts longer and doesn't look like every other crossover on the street. It was also far more comfortable on a long trip. Modern cars have too many LCD screens burning my retinas and they are not comfortable on a long trip at all. Numb butt is a common issue and pain in the back. They don't make cars comfortable today. They're just computers on wheels, and all look the same with the same choice of bland colours.

Is it so wrong to want variety back in the world? I suppose you prefer it Klaus Schwab's way, where everything is a 'modern' homogenized mess, where 'you will own nothing and be happy' while having everything on a subscription model, and all vehicles must be electric and limit mileage where seeing a distant relative is now a thing of the past (I would never see my girlfriend again since she lives 530 miles away from me, and no EV can go over 250-350 without an 8-hour recharge cycle and you're not getting that on the interstate) and I want nothing in my vehicle connected to any cloud, forced software updates on me, or worse, being monitored by God-knows-who, I've heard stories of Tesla owners who had their range artificially limited due to 'unauthorized mods' and who knows? Maybe I have an opinion that's a bit right of wing and they limit my mileage so I can't 'spead hate speech' which is really speech that someone doesn't like these days. Me outright saying 'i think deer hunters are no different from Ted Bundy' might get that EV they want to force on me to no longer go past 60 miles.

I am sorry but I will end my own life before succumbing to that hellscape of a world. Black Mirror is supposed to be a warning, not a user guide for governments.

FYI EVs and banning incandescent bulbs ain't gonna stop climate change. Not when at least 18% of greenhouse gas emissions (if you trust the ag lobby's figure, the world bank claims it's at least 51%) comes from animal agriculture alone, which is more than all forms of transportation combined. The whole 'zero carbon' can't exist in the modern world without us giving up electricity and going back to a 19th Century lifestyle, and even then you'd have carbon emissions. People today are nuts thinking they can achieve that, especially when many today consume more than ever in the past--look at the people who can't go a couple of years without getting a new smartphone that isn't any better than their old one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones