• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I have searched and read, opinions please?

My take on the razr v Bionic:
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/450707-bionic-v-razr-my-take.html#post3518887

I have tried out every 4g phone verizon offers with the exception of the google nexus (which as of this moring is not available) and the bionic is the winner for me. The GN may be better, may be worse, only time will tell. There is always a lot of hype about the next new phone and the nexus is no different. When it hits the market there is usually a colletive sigh on the forums when everyone realizes the phone falls short of expectations. It happens every time.

Reactions: DSCR
Upvote 0
I understand how you have to carefully document issues over time to develop a position. I have been calling vzw tech about my hobbled D2 (since the 2.3.3 update). I casually called again Tuesday night to trouble shoot another issue.

The tech was very helpful with no resolution. She then offered me a replacement. hat was new!

Today, I am receiving my new/used/refurbed D3 to get me by until I receive the GNex tomorrow (theoretically). Once again, I find vzw to have excellent service and eventually come around to going above and beyond the level that they have to.

So, I should end up with a decent backup phone with international capabilities and a 4g phone as primary. I will try out the GNex for a week or so and if it falls too short in some critical way, I will use my one exchange for a Bionic. It sounds like Moto wants to address the issues and will support this phone for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, that's the plan for now.

Upvote 0
Now I know what my corp rep was talking about.

Signal strength in the office for my bionic is between high 70s and low 80's. My buddy with a gnex..high 90's and low 100's. We work 20 miles away from LA! We were on a conference call guess who had a call drop? My buddy is gonna hear it from us when we go home. I'm definitely waiting until a radio update before passing judgement. I think the blame should be on VZW because I can't imagine that all of these LTE phones have bad radios in the initial release.

PS. ICS is frickin sweet!

Reactions: DSCR
Upvote 0
I received the GNex Friday, late in the day. I have a bit of "weekend use", but not the full context yet.

Initial impressions may be colored by my first LTE use. What a power hog! But very fast!

GNex is very nice. Again, coming from a D2 perspective, any LTE phone with a larger screen would be nice.

ICS is interesting. I like it so far, learning curve notwithstanding.

Some early impressions.
Camera - not bad as a camera phone. Inconsistent results. Can be very fast. This week I will dig into settings and set up some better shots. And try an aftermarket app to compare.

Front camera - Pretty dang good for mirror shots and skype. My Mom and brother both said the picture quality was better than my cat daddy toshiba laptop. Skype worked on LTE and wifi.

Radios - they are not Motos. Or at least the signal indicators are not. Again, I havent been out and about to test in known weak areas, but surprisingly, I had no dropped calls or slow data in the dark reaches of my basement.

Battery - If you dont use the phone or data, you can stretch the stock battery to at least 18 to 20 hours. As soon as you do stuff, wow! The levels drop like a rock. I have burned the stock battery down to shutdown and fully charged while turned off 3 times now. Today will be closer to normal use and will tell the tale. So far, I have tried to treat the GNEx as I would have to treat the Razr, no chance to replace a battery. It is a real adjustment to not be able to just pop in another battery.

Build - Fit and finish is good. The battery door is on really well. Battery swaps will be more of a chore than with my D2. I am sure I would feel this way about the Bionic, Razr, Rezound or any other large screen phone, but that big'ol glass WILL NOT survive the abuse I gave my D2. I have got to be more careful with my phones!

So, the jury is still out.

You guys have been very kind and informative to me and I appreciate it.

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones