• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Avail 2] I have successfully rooted my wife's old Avail 2

So.. im complete newb to this. What would be the next step YOU would do?

i have no idea how to do what..

to be honest i havent noticed any difference yet.. am i able to uninstall entire programs? or does that just automatically happen when i remove them? is there a folder or something that i now have access to that i didn't before?

should i upgrade to a different ROM? (i believe that's kinda like going from windows XP to vista in the android world? lol)

im trying to have fun with this... experiment with her old phone before i attempt it on my new android. trying to learn a thing or two here

to be honest i havent noticed any difference yet..
You won't - since you haven't been running apps that need root, and that's all root does - allows programs that need it to run - nothing's changed yet.

am i able to uninstall entire programs? or does that just automatically happen when i remove them?
When you uninstall an app, you should first clear the app's cache and data (there are buttons there for that) then uninstall it. That removes the whole thing.

is there a folder or something that i now have access to that i didn't before?
Yes, all the systems folders. (From which you can completely destroy the firmware, kernel, etc.)

should i upgrade to a different ROM?
Is there one that has functions you want that the stock one doesn't - and doesn't leave out any from the stock ROM that you do want? (Most of what most people want to do can be done by installing apps, which sis a lot less dangerous than flashing a new ROM.)

(i believe that's kinda like going from windows XP to vista in the android world? lol)
It can be. It can also be going from XP to an XP that has moving wallpaper. Or one that has a built-in PS3 emulator, but is still running XP. Every ROM developer develops a different ROM for a different purpose.

im trying to have fun with this... experiment with her old phone before i attempt it on my new android. trying to learn a thing or two here
Then read a lot first. Turning a phone into a book end on your first attempt isn't fun. Find a way to restore the phone to original if the worst happens. Find a way to boot if the phone hard bricks. (A hard brick means that the phone does the same thing whether there's a battery in it or not - nothing. But some phones can be brought back from that with an SD card with the right file on it.)

Once you're pretty confident that you can load the stock ROM to the phone if the worst happens, do it. The phone shouldn't work any differently, but you know if you corrupt the ROM, you can restore it.

THEN have fun.

Reactions: smguffer
Upvote 0
Even without tethering, you can use an android file explorer like ES File Explorer (in its "tools", turn on "root explorer" ) then in the system/app folder you can delete system apps. Just be very careful about what you delete ;)
When you rooted, did the process install a custom recovery like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP?
If so, the first thing you want to do is go into recovery and make a backup of the phone incase you mess things up. Then its really easy to recover the phone if anything goes wrong :)
Another thing to check out is Xposed Framework (google "xposed installer apk"). Thats a great toy to play with on a rooted device :beer:

Reactions: smguffer and davoid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones