• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I just factory reset my phone

Well what's weird is that I definitely had it that way before I reset the phone--I have tons of screenshots [taken for other reasons] that clearly show the time in HH:MM:SS format in the status bar. I wonder how I did that.... :thinking:
Same here... I need some help on here, why isn't my photos showing up in the media page? Only shows a grey square and three dots on my end.

Upvote 0
Well what's weird is that I definitely had it that way before I reset the phone--I have tons of screenshots [taken for other reasons] that clearly show the time in HH:MM:SS format in the status bar. I wonder how I did that.... :thinking:
I have no clue unless it's that new voodoo you used to do. sorry.. I'm bored. I wish I had an answer. I don't have the option to show seconds. Perhaps I had the option in an earlier OS rev.

Upvote 0
I have no clue unless it's that new voodoo you used to do. sorry.. I'm bored. I wish I had an answer. I don't have the option to show seconds. Perhaps I had the option in an earlier OS rev.
Even though I don't know exactly what 'new voodoo' I used to do, reading it made me laugh out loud! :D

As for the time issue, this is a real head-scratcher. If not for the fact that it's the SAME PHONE, running the exact SAME OS version, and also the exact SAME LAUNCHER, I'd chalk it up to some kind of difference between the old and new. But they're all the same!! :eek: What the hell am I missing?! :thinking:

Upvote 0
If I made you laugh I accomplished my mission.

Have you tried opening your display, and before logging in, press or long press the clock? I get seconds on my clock when doing so. However, when I close it to log in it's returned to HH:MM format. I am brought a settings menu when I long press the clock prior to logging in but it is to select what I want to be seen on the lock screen and zero option to manage the clock format.

It most likely is not the answer to your quest but something to try.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Screenshot_20220802-181600.png

Got it! :)

Details tomorrow....when I'm on my laptop.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Last night, after thinking about what I said yesterday, i.e., everything (the phone, the OS, etc.) is exactly the same as before resetting the phone, I pondered that for a moment. I *knew* I was missing something, but I just didn't know what. I had already searched for solutions but everything pointed to time programming methods, like how to detect elapsed time on Android for app developers. I love programming and everything, but I KNEW I had not done anything like that before. So....

I searched again. Same results, tons of time programming results, but one mentioned System UI Tuner. Voila!! :eek: As soon as I saw its name I knew that was it. I don't know why it wasn't restored after the reset, as most of my other apps were but, whatever, I grabbed it and off I went. The rest is history, as shown in the screenshot I hastily posted last night. :D

All is well again...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That's fantastic. Not that it was that important but I know how a nagging problem like that wears on a person. Happy for you Moody!
Thanks, dear. Yeah, I knew it was a nitpicky problem, but I'm used to having all my devices show time in HH:MM:SS format, and that's what I wanted. I'm glad it's solved. Now I can move on to something that's actually important....like paying bills. :D

Upvote 0
Thanks, dear. Yeah, I knew it was a nitpicky problem, but I'm used to having all my devices show time in HH:MM:SS format, and that's what I wanted. I'm glad it's solved. Now I can move on to something that's actually important....like paying bills. :D
To heck with the bills... lol. I'm much like you... especially when I had it set up once... it wears on me until I can resolve the problem. The change in reality is not a game changer but it's NOT what I want. :)

I'm just happy you figured it out. We fell short. :) But, I'm likely not the only one here that tried to find a solution. It's like a mini mystery that you know there is a solution and it becomes a quest. All fun stuff. Thanks for sharing the mystery of the missing seconds.

Upvote 0
To heck with the bills... lol. I'm much like you... especially when I had it set up once... it wears on me until I can resolve the problem. The change in reality is not a game changer but it's NOT what I want. :)
Exactly! You know, if I had gotten a new phone, or if the OS had upgraded to 12, or....whatever, if something was different, I'd probably have just accepted it as the 'new' way and carry on. Oh, shit, no I wouldn't. We all know that! :eek: Even if it WAS the new way, I'd still be scouring the Internet for a way to hack it. Oh well, once a geek always a geek. But in this case, I knew everything was the same, and I also knew I had not done anything in Android's guts to get it originally, so it HAD to be a setting. I just didn't know which one.

I'm just happy you figured it out. We fell short. :) But, I'm likely not the only one here that tried to find a solution. It's like a mini mystery that you know there is a solution and it becomes a quest. All fun stuff. Thanks for sharing the mystery of the missing seconds.
You're welcome, and thank you all for the brainstorming and ideas. It's not really that important to me that no one had the solution, it's the fact people were willing to help that I appreciate. :)

Upvote 0
Loving those skeuomorphic lock screen shortcuts. Surprised that's a cat and not a peacock though.
That's not my lock screen, it's my wallpaper--those icons at the bottom are on my dock. And I'm still tweaking parts of my phone's appearance, so the size and placement shouldn't be assumed to be final yet.

As for the cat, that's not just ANY cat, that's my oft-mentioned favorite cat, Joy Noelle. She was sleeping on my legs when I snapped that shot. I love all pictures of her--and I've taken thousands since November 2004, but something about her sleeping just always gets me. :)

Upvote 0
Last night I did some digging to figure out why SystemUI Tuner hadn't been restored like all my other apps when I reset my phone. I got a refresher course on something I'd forgotten all about: it used to be a built-in part of Android! Then Google, in its infinite wisdom, decided to take it away. Thankfully, some thoughtful developers made it available as an app, and here we are now.

Upvote 0
Last night I did some digging to figure out why SystemUI Tuner hadn't been restored like all my other apps when I reset my phone. I got a refresher course on something I'd forgotten all about: it used to be a built-in part of Android! Then Google, in its infinite wisdom, decided to take it away. Thankfully, some thoughtful developers made it available as an app, and here we are now.
Last night I gave it the old college try, but it is for rooted cells, didn't I download the same thing as you did?

Upvote 0
Last night I gave it the old college try, but it is for rooted cells, didn't I download the same thing as you did?
Honey, I haven't rooted a phone since...I honestly have no idea! It's been years and years. So that's not it.

Do you have 'developer options' enabled? It seems like that might have something to do with it, although I didn't actually read anything (like the description for the app I downloaded) saying that. Here's the SystemUI Tuner app I installed. Try both and see if it works for you--it should.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
Honey, I haven't rooted a phone since...I honestly have no idea! It's been years and years. So that's not it.

Do you have 'developer options' enabled? It seems like that might have something to do with it, although I didn't actually read anything (like the description for the app I downloaded) saying that. Here's the SystemUI Tuner app I installed. Try both and see if it works for you--it should.
Indeed I do have the developer options set up ages ago, thanks I will give that a go :) I am not so sure on what on the SystemUI app I was trying out either hmmm...

Upvote 0

Works like a charm! :) love you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones