• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I just got a notification

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
I just received a notification supposedly from Google saying "Uninstall harmful app". I've never seen this before and I don't know if it's specific to the HTC 10 or if it's real. Any help is appreciated. I downloaded the app from Google, but now I can't find it. Very strange.
Screenshot_20160629-004639.png

If you d/L it from Google Play & it's no longer available, I'd heed the warning & ditch it.
Sometimes Google can be quite WTF/arbitrary with taking down apps, but, to take down a font package, they probably had a good reason:
My guess is some sort of infringement, or, undesirable links/content in the app.

If you're really curious, contact Google & see if they'll give you a straight answer....

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice. I've never seen something like that from Google. That's what bothered me. As far as asking Google; I haven't had much luck contacting them. So far they have responded to 0% of my questions. They have even deleted my reviews of their Android System Web View app when I had warned that it was causing problems. When I stopped the critisizm, they stopped deleting.

Upvote 0
You really mean IOS can get into your IPhone and remove an app without you giving permission or knowing?
I don't know what "get into your phone means" but they can tell the os that a particular app is too be un- installed. I think they needed to use that functionality once with an app a while back. I would very surprised if android did not have the same capabilities.

Upvote 0
I guess it has to be that way. I just wonder about their motivation. There are paid for apps in the Google Store that haven't been updated for 2 or 3 years and nobody answers their emails. I was told by a Google support tech that authors have 3 days to reply or they're in violation of their contract. I can't tell you how many times I've written to Google about them and they're still being sold. I guess when money is involved, it's easy for Google to look the other way.
Thanks for the help.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones