• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I need help choosing a tablet

G0ldengirl52

Sep 14, 2021
Could I get help on choosing a tablet as I already have to return one, I obviously spent too little on it:

YQ10S Android Tablet - I like my 2016, generation 7 Kindle Fire HD better than the YQ.

So now I'm thinking about a Samsung, but not the S9 as I don't draw at all so why get that. I mainly want the Tablet to replace my 17" screen HP Laptop which is basically backup for my desktop HP Gaming PC, which I rarely use for gaming. Something I can do all my business on easier than my Moto One 5g Ace which is too small for a lot of things, for me anyway.

I do not like Apple/Mac/Iphone anything, been using Android and Windows PCs much too long to change now.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would go up to 4 or 500, and less wouldn't hurt my feelings either ;) Denise

Upvote 0
Thank you jhtalisman, do you have any Samsungs, or a Pixel that you've been happy with? If not, no worries, and I hadn't looked at Bestbuy since I do 99% of my shopping off Amazon. Our small town has only a Walmart, for buying electronics, so thank you again ;) Denise

Upvote 0
Thank you jhtalisman, do you have any Samsungs, or a Pixel that you've been happy with? If not, no worries, and I hadn't looked at Bestbuy since I do 99% of my shopping off Amazon. Our small town has only a Walmart, for buying electronics, so thank you again ;) Denise
I have a Tab S7 FE myself and like it. The Tab S9 FE should be a similar experience as it has the same software package (Android 13, UI 5.1).

My last 3 phones, including current, have been Samsung. The only problem I have had with any of them was the charge port on one of them went wonky after 2 and a half years and I couldn't get a replacement that didn't kill my cell signal.

Amazon might have similar deals as it is Prime Day ending tonight.

Upvote 0
Ok, sounds good, only thing I kind of wish is Motorola had a Tablet, but I didn't see one around. I love my moto's, last 3 I've owned have been Motos ;) Samsung has a good reputation, and now heard from you, one on one, that you are happy with yours. I'll go look now and see if Amazon has something good on special for today. I'm a Prime member so that's a good thing ;) I'll let you know what I decide, if I find something this evening.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
FYI Lenovo makes a range of tablets, and Lenovo does make the Moto phones.
Hi Mike, thank you for the info. I see some Lenovas and I'll take a look. When I first spotted them some years ago, they were wildly popular with some folks. I'll let you know what I find. So far, I am seeing heavier weights on the Pixels, which I want a lighter weight, 1 lb would be best or very close to. Also want as much RAM as I can get, storage doesn't see to be a problem since you can upgrade that with an SD card.

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0
That is the A8. It is limited to 4gb of Ram and has a lower end CPU. Not knowing exactly what you'll be using it for I can't recommend it. There is probably nothing inherently wrong with it, but you mentioned work use so going from that you would probably want something more time efficient.

I get all my info from GSMArena.com - mobile phone reviews, news, specs . You can compare side by side here Compare phones, smartphones, tablets - GSMArena.com . Just enter what you're looking at and check them out.

Upvote 0
That is the A8. It is limited to 4gb of Ram and has a lower end CPU. Not knowing exactly what you'll be using it for I can't recommend it. There is probably nothing inherently wrong with it, but you mentioned work use so going from that you would probably want something more time efficient.

I get all my info from GSMArena.com - mobile phone reviews, news, specs . You can compare side by side here Compare phones, smartphones, tablets - GSMArena.com . Just enter what you're looking at and check them out.
Oh that will help me a ton Jh, thank you for the link!! That's exactly what I needed and easier way to compare ;) I might still find a deal before the time is up!:LOL:(y)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I thought I'd let everyone that helped me here, see what I came up with. This is some brand I never heard of, but I really liked the specs. on it so thought I would try it out. I can return it if it's not all I hope from it, and I am well aware it's a budget Tablet, very low priced with tax and all, 133.00. Today I see it's back up to 149.00. If this one doesn't work out, I will know I have to spend more. Here's a link to the Alldocube on Amazon, and there's a review for it on Youtube as well. I will post here again to let you know how it works for what I want to do on it ;)

Alldocube Android Tablet

out of box Alldocube

Upvote 0
i always stay away from off brand products. they get no support and you can't flash a firmware update(stock rom) if something goes wrong. but they can be cheap, so if something goes wrong you can just throw it away and get something new. but you will then be just spending more money when you do not have to.

just go in with very low expectations.

Upvote 0
I hope I know enough to recognize any issues, I do fully understand it's a very cheap Android. Maybe it's overloaded in some way, with all, what I see as, good parts. It reminds me of my "flagship" HP Laptop. If I understand it, it was manufactured by HP, then another company, or private business buys it and upgrades it so it's loaded with even more powerful parts.

I doubt Alldocube is a flagship product, but it had more juice than the brand-name tablets, although again, I see the price is very cheap. I'm guessing you are probably right, but I vowed to just send it back, and spend on an Android with a bigger price-tag. Thank you for you input :) Denise

Upvote 0
had to send the Alldocube back, well, I have to drop it off at UPS today that is.

I looked like it was going to work great, but it started working only intermittently. Like one time it would start right up, for example. Other things were I didn't feel it was light-weight enough. I know I'm going to need to spend more, but will take my time picking one again. I'm not even sure I want one now to be honest.

I know it would be very handy to use in my bible-studies, but haven't found the "one" that feels, and navigates well enough for me. We only have a Walmart which has mostly Apple brands, but I think there were some Samsungs on display you can actually try. I'll check, maybe today :)

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Have you considered a Kindle Fire? They're on the cheap side, especially if you get a used one from eBay. The Kindle Fire doesn't come with the Google appstore, but you can install it yourself.
I have 2, one is Kindle 7", and I only read with it. My other is a Kindle 10 inch. It's from 2019, or older, can't recall off-hand. It's good for some thing like music and many other things, but I'd like something newer and faster. Also prefer to try a pure Android (so to speak) rather than Amazon as I would feel I'd have more options outside of Amazon. Although I've always had playstore to get "some" android apps, on my Kindles. But again, I really want to try Android.

Upvote 0
sorry I didn't indicate that, they are Fires, yes ;)
But again, I really want to try Android.
Then they already run Android.
Also prefer to try a pure Android (so to speak) rather than Amazon as I would feel I'd have more options outside of Amazon.
How so? It's not like you're limited to Amazon apps. You can install the Google appstore (which you've already done), and then install the Barn's & Noble Nook app to your Fire, as you would to any other Android tablet.

Reactions: G0ldengirl52
Upvote 0
Then they already run Android.

How so? It's not like you're limited to Amazon apps. You can install the Google appstore (which you've already done), and then install the Barn's & Noble Nook app to your Fire, as you would to any other Android tablet.
A Nook App?? News to me, the Nook Tablet was my first and then I thought Nook was no longer in business at all? Good news in case I can rescue my books from Nook since I kept it, I hope. I'm not going into some heated conversation about "why" I want to try an Android so thank you for your input, but I will keep looking at other options.

Upvote 0
Heated? No. I'm just trying to understand what you're looking for. From what you've told me: A Kindle Fire should be able to give you what you're looking for. But maybe I'm missing something, maybe you know something I don't.

Rest assured: We're not in the business of pushing the particular tablets we use, and then getting angry when someone else still has his own preferences! That would be childish, and that's not what we're about here at the Android Forums.

Upvote 0
Heated? No. I'm just trying to understand what you're looking for. From what you've told me: A Kindle Fire should be able to give you what you're looking for. But maybe I'm missing something, maybe you know something I don't.

Rest assured: We're not in the business of pushing the particular tablets we use, and then getting angry when someone else still has his own preferences! That would be childish, and that's not what we're about here at the Android Forums.
Ok, I get confused at some folks meanings, online, well, and off. I apologize for reading you wrong.

Ok, first I need faster, more RAM, as much as I can afford, and a good CPU. I will spend the money this time around as I've now sent back 2 Android Tablets. I believe there is a new "fire" that I only glanced, but I will look again, if I actually did see one ;) I do not truly dislike Amazon, it makes it easy to shop and return when need be. I also have gotten many other products, cloths, from them so I'm now feeling you were really asking "why not try looking at Kindles". I have 2 that have never failed me except I want some with more power ;) I'll look and let you know what I see. Thank you again. Edit: forgot to ask if you have a kindle fire, and an android? What did you find with the android tablets compared to Kindle Fire?

Upvote 0
Ok, first I need faster, more RAM, as much as I can afford, and a good CPU.
Let's put that hardware stuff aside for now, and talk about software:

[Do] you have a kindle fire, and an android? What did you find with the android tablets compared to Kindle Fire?
The Kindle Fire is Android, but with Amazon's apps and modifications. That's common in the Android world. For example, a Samsung tablet (including smartphones) will have Sumsung's apps and modifications. Now, it's true that Amazon doesn't market Kindle Fires as Android tablets. There's a good reason for that: When people hear "Android", they'll think it has the Google app store and Google apps. The Fire doesn't (unlike even most modified Android systems), but you can install them yourself.

So Android vs Fire: That's the wrong question. The right question is: Near-stock Android vs a more modified Android. I've never used a near-stock Android. But I've used two Android systems with very different types of modifications. One is a Kindle Fire, the other is Chromium OS (aka Chrome OS, Chromebook) with Android app support. Originally, Android and Chromium OS were originally totally separate projects. Now, Chromebooks with Android app support are pretty much Android by another name (although some Chromebooks don't have Android app support).

You might think that, with two different flavors of modified Android (or modified to be Android in Chromium OS's case), I'd have two very different experiences. But I haven't. Ture, there's some work to get them close enough to stock Android for my needs. I had to install the Google appstore onto my Fire, along with basic Google apps which would normally come pre-installed. I had to activate the Android sub-system on my Chromebook (which itself is using a modified Chromium OS). But after the work I put in, it's pretty much the same experience.

Of course, there are caveats when using such a far-from-sock Android. I've already told you one caveat: The work I've put into getting both systems close enough to stock Android for my needs. The second caveat is: Not everything's going to work as smovly as it would under a near-stock Android! For example, I've read that the Kindle Fire doesn't work too well with custom launchers. I myself haven't been able to get custom keyboards to work properly with my Chromebook.

You may want to avoid that risk and headache, and stick to a near-stock Android. How can you find a tablet with a near-stock Android? I don't know. But if you'd like, I could look into that for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones