• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i need you help

DoubleEagle

Nov 13, 2010
Indiana
i need your advise. i got a DX about 2 weeks ago and started reading the forums. I really don't know what I'm doing but would like to root my phone. Seems really interesting and all the cool things you can do, but my question is can i use use the z4root on the market and then what would you guys suggest my next move. keep in mind I'm a complete newb.

Good question. First time rooting is scary. It was to me, at least. After awhile, you come to understand that there's basically nothing you can do to your phone that you can't restore from.

Here's my advice to you. Before you get into heavy modifications of your phone. Read up on how to backup and restore data. When you are modifying your phone if you don't do all the steps right, you can get your phone stuck and it won't load beyond the "M" or the boot animation. That's called "brick" because the phone basically becomes as useless as a brick.

I would like to show you a thread that I pasted into the http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ide-updated-4-pm-eastern-time-11-10-10-a.html

The link is here for the thread. http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ing-custom-rom-theme-how-unbrick-droid-x.html

Everything you need to know is contained here. There's information about rooting, theming, unbricking (how to get your phone back from being stuck)...

Please read this carefully, so you can have sufficient understanding of what you want to do and what you can do if you get into trouble before you go ahead with things.

Please PM me if I may be of any further assistance.

Upvote 0
Most operations can be done through the phone if you use Rom Manager. However, most Roms and Themes are NOT available through that app, so it would be easier to d/l stuff to your PC first then transfer it over to your phone. However, technically, I guess you can even d/l stuff to your phone using 3g, which would just take longer.

The only real thing, that I can think of, that you must have your computer for is to restore your phone using SBF if you brick it.

Upvote 0
First off you guys are awesome! Second I guess I'm just scared that I will brick my droid. If you guys can bare with me I would like to take this slow. First thing I have DX with 2.2 Froyo already installed on the phone. So basically i can use z4root that is on the market to root. now can I unroot if I have to take the DX back for any reason like if I drop it or something? and when I do root will it be just like it is right now before I start downloading anything? Let's just say I root and worst case scenario it bricks where do i get a SBF? And thank you Steven58 for the links I am going to take time and read them tonight!

Upvote 0
z4root will root/unroot your phone. It's safe. You won't brick your phone from rooting.

CW Recovery gives you as many backups as will store on your sd card (lots) that you can restore if you can get into recovery.

Steven posted info for recovery: The link is here for the thread. All-One-Guide to Rooting, Deodexing, and Installing a Custom ROM/Theme (And How to Unbrick Droid X)

Not saying you need to deodex, just that there's info there for recovery.Move slow, make a backup, read lots and you'll be ok.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones