• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I sold my rooted hero, and my buyer is stuck (doh)!

LxMxFxD

Android Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2010
I upgraded to an evo last summer on launch day. Kept my hero in case I like, dropped my evo in the lake or it got stolen.. but last week I decided to sell my hero just because I figured it should find a better home.

I sold it to a girl on craigslist who was going to give it to her mom for mom's day. I met her at the sprint store and advised her to go in and have sprint wipe it and "upgrade it" (it is running fresh rom 2.1) but she didn't and said, "i'll do it all next week." Fast forward to yesterday and... she texts me saying sprint couldn't upgrade it and that theres no "internet" on it. She isn't a technical person and I just ASSUMED sprint could wipe it and upgrade it. I assumed wrong and now I feel terrible.

I offered to work with her (i'm out of town until tomorrow) on it and she seemed ok with that. So I am creating this thread to see what I have to do to unroot this phone so she can use it.

This is where she is at:

1. She activated the phone with sprint but according to her, it has no internet (but can make and receive calls). I presume this is because of an old radio or plu or something like that?
2. I'd like to unroot it for her.. but I want to show up to the sprint store with the right software on my windows laptop to quickly do it for her from like, my car.

I think I need to flash this but I am unsure:

[RUU] Official 2.31.651.7 in ZIP Format, Flashable from Fastboot - xda-developers

Anyway, I ask everyone here for help! What can I do on tuesday when I see her to get this phone unrooted and back up and running asap?

I have no idea what rom loader is on there, but it should work regardless of rom loader?

And, is this common? Like, "no internet" meaning no 3g if a rooted phone is activated like this? I'm just curious as to how all this works, exactly. Needless to say, sprint can't wipe a phone then? And if I ever change phone #s or whatnot i'll have to unroot it, eh?

Upvote 0
If your phone is still rooted, and she is not too technical, simply have her flash the RUU from HBoot which will most likely be the easiest and fastest way to do so, once she flashed the RUU then she can go back to Sprint and have them check the phone out, so the link you posted in your first thread is correct and the easiest way. Make sure you have Rom Manager on the phone so she has the proper recovery image

You can just flash the stock ROM via HBOOT.

Tell her to follow these steps, or you can do it for her >>> [RUU] Official 2.31.651.7 in ZIP Format, Flashable from Fastboot - xda-developers .

[RUU] Official 2.31.651.7 in ZIP Format, Flashable from Fastboot

As the title says, here's the Rom.zip extracted from RUU_Hero_C_Sprint_2.31.651.7_signed_release.exe for those that don't use Windows, or prefer to have their RUU in zip format.
This will flash your phone to 2.31.651.7 STOCK.

HERCIMG-2.31.651.7.ZIP

1. Simply rename this to HERCIMG.zip and place on the root of your SDCard.
  2. Power your phone completely off.
  3. Press and Hold VOL DOWN and POWER until your phone boots into HBoot mode.
  4. Wait for it to verify the zip, then click <ACTION> (Trackball) to update, or <SEND> (Green Call) to cancel.

Enjoy!

I have no idea what rom loader is on there, but it should work regardless of rom loader?

And, is this common? Like, "no internet" meaning no 3g if a rooted phone is activated like this? I'm just curious as to how all this works, exactly. Needless to say, sprint can't wipe a phone then? And if I ever change phone #s or whatnot i'll have to unroot it, eh?

Reactions: LxMxFxD
Upvote 0
Yeah, you guys are great, thanks. I meet with her tomorrow and I'll do this. When I rooted the phone I used a rom manager but it has been about 16 months since I did it.

So i'll just take the phone, hook my laptop up to it, transfer the zip and reboot.

I think to get to the rom manager its: Hold POWER (red button) + HOME button. Is this correct?

Upvote 0
No not in this case, you want to power down the phone, and then once off, hit the volume down button and the end key at the same time, that will get you into HBoot, not recovery, you want to be in HBoot mode, and make sure before you transfer the file you rename it as mentioned in the post

Instructions are in the thread I posted, and I also C&P it for you in the above post

I think to get to the rom manager its: Hold POWER (red button) + HOME button. Is this correct?

Upvote 0
No not in this case, you want to power down the phone, and then once off, hit the volume down button and the end key at the same time, that will get you into HBoot, not recovery, you want to be in HBoot mode, and make sure before you transfer the file you rename it as mentioned in the post

Instructions are in the thread I posted, and I also C&P it for you in the above post

I haven't met with her yet, but is hboot part of the phone or part of the rom loading manager? I'll follow these directions to the T, and hopefully it'll work. I'm just slightly concerned that the rom manager differs. Is this vol down + red end button universal no matter what rom loader is on there?

Upvote 0
It is if you have a recovery image flashed, which I assume you do since you the phone was previously rooted, let me know if not I will tell you how to do so.

I haven't met with her yet, but is hboot part of the phone or part of the rom loading manager? I'll follow these directions to the T, and hopefully it'll work. I'm just slightly concerned that the rom manager differs. Is this vol down + red end button universal no matter what rom loader is on there?

Reactions: LxMxFxD
Upvote 0
Success! I followed the directions and they were spot on. Couldn't be easier. Since she had already activated it once it rebooted finally it went right onto the internet and made calls without issue.

She was delighted so thanks to both you who helped me! Just to get an idea of how "non technical" she was she asked me "Does this have swipe on it? My hands are too big to text on my evo let alone this hero." I told her "I just turn my phone sideways to get a bigger keyboard." Her eyes lit up like a lightbulb like I had just revealed the secret of life. "I never even thought of doing that!"

LOL

Upvote 0
Glad it all worked out

Success! I followed the directions and they were spot on. Couldn't be easier. Since she had already activated it once it rebooted finally it went right onto the internet and made calls without issue.

She was delighted so thanks to both you who helped me! Just to get an idea of how "non technical" she was she asked me "Does this have swipe on it? My hands are too big to text on my evo let alone this hero." I told her "I just turn my phone sideways to get a bigger keyboard." Her eyes lit up like a lightbulb like I had just revealed the secret of life. "I never even thought of doing that!"

LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones