• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I think I bricked my phone during the JB update

See if you can get in download mode and use this guide to install the stock jellybean rom.

I can't get in my phone. It says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again." I tried taking out the battery for 5 minutes. Still no luck. And yes, it was the official one by Samsung, not those third party roms.

Upvote 0
Odin should still work. Download and extract Odin, turn off your phone, plug usb cable to computer only, start Odin, hold both volume buttons on phone and then plug the usb cable into your phone. You should get a yellow com port like in the pictures in the guide. Follow the instructions to install the jellybean stock.

Upvote 0
You can also try going to Tools in Kies and select Emergency Firmware Recovery.

Thanks! It worked! I fixed it with the emergency recover and it updated to JB without clearing any of my important data. The only issue is that it is very laggy in JB but it was only laggy for about 10 minutes.

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones