• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I tricked the phone into playing my music in 5.1 surround digital sound

Eazail70x7

Android Expert
Mar 13, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
All you have to do is use a file manager like astro. What you do in the file manager is search for your song, which ever one you wish to listen to. Once you find it, long press on it, then select open as, then select video, then select video player and that's it. Once in the player, you are able to listen to your song and press the "5.1" button and it does work. I'm still not sure if it sounds better with it on or off but neat to try.

In order for it to work you must plug in the ear buds. I was amazed by how well it sounded when listening to a chapter of the bible with it turned on. The sounds were coming from all over

Awesome! Some CD's/music DVD rips are in 5.1, so you may very well find a use for this sound setup. I'd be very interested to try this out...I'll have to remember it when I finally get my Epic! :)

Upvote 0
Sorry, but 5.1 audio is not possible on 2 channel output. You may be able to play "part" of it through those 2 channels, but you'll, basically, be missing 2 rear channels, 1 sub channel, and 1 center channel. It will definitely sound different, but not 5.1. You're still in stereo attempting to play a 6 channel audio source. Now, maybe if you could stream that digitally to something that can play 5.1 audio (streaming to XBox 360 through AllShare might be worth looking at, but I haven't gotten that far, yet).

Reactions: zardoz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones