• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

i9020a on AT&T. How to disable UMTS?

ericshmerick

Jun 5, 2010
I have been back and forth with the Nexus S for AT&T. I have bought and returned several models, mostly due to slow 3g data on AT&T.

Once again, I have given the white Canadian (Rogers) i9020a another shot. In the past, I have complained about and returned this model due to slow 3g speeds on AT&T. Now that I have it again and I've paid closer attention to what's going in with the signal, I have determined that the phone spends an awful lot of time in 3g "UMTS" mode. When it's in this mode, it's very slow on 3g. In contrast, my Atrix is always in HSDPA mode and the 3g speeds are very fast.

The Nexus S will switch into HSDPA, but it spends most of it's time in UMTS, which is noticeably slower.

So, for those who own the Rogers variant of the Nexus S (on AT&T in the US) does your phone lock onto UMTS more than HSDPA? If not, is there some sort of setting you can change to prevent the phone from entering into the slower UMTS data network?

(I realize UMTS is nothing more than 850mhz, but I also realize it's dog slow with data, so I want to avoid it like my Atrix, which is always on HSDPA and very fast)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones