• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

(iAmANoob) Help needed with e-mail and facebook messenger notifications

Hello everyone :)
This is my first thread on this forum, I'm coming from the iPhone 3g, and just bought a new HTC Desire S... So I'm a total newbie.. :eek:
I am very happy with this phone, still, I have few things that I don't quite get,
and I would be very grateful if you help me with them..

I have problems with: setting up email / not getting notifications for mail in realtime / not getting notifications for facebook messenger in realtime / getting annoying google talk authentication notifications

- Firstly, I'm having a problem with setting up the e-mails.. I have 5 emails that I use, and 4 of them are on gmail. 3 of my gmail accounts are with @mycompany.com domain.
So, I have:
mail@gmail.com
mail@mycompany.com (gmail)
mail@yahoo.com

1. I first tried to make accounts on the basic "mail" app, but I noticed that my e-mails are not syncing with my account at all. The messages are not downloaded, and I am not receiving mails neither on the regular gmail, neither on the mycompany gmail. When setting up the regular gmail (new account, automatic) I also got the message: "Warning: Cannot connect to the remote server. Please check the network settings and then try again". Why?

2. I then used the gmail app for emails, and successfully configured all my 4 gmail accounts. One problem is that I don't understand how to check them in one click (like I used to do on my iPhone on the refresh button). Do I have to manually click on "Sync All" button? Even if I do that, I've noticed that that is syncing all my accounts (including facebook and twitter, and contacts.. and everything.. and it's taking a while..)

3. The other most importaing thing to me is - I don't understand why I am not getting notifications for e-mail in realtime , or when I just touch the lock button, I used to have that option on my iPhone, but why I can't have that here?
Message actions are on..
e-mail notifications are on..
So why I am not getting e-mails in realtime?
PS. I use whatsapp, and I'm getting messages from that app in realtime..

4. Next important question is: Why can't all my gmail accounts be in one inbox?

5. I am getting this message all the time: Google talk authentication failed. I don't care why, I just want it to stop! Does this have something to do with my @companymail.com google account?

6. Notifications for the Facebook Messenger app. Also, not receiving them in realtime. Why?

Thank you for your time

Are you using the gmail app? That has ability to add accounts so you get then all in one place at one touch. Once you have all your accounts added then you need to set them to autosynch via home screen menu > settings > accounts and sync so you get your emails as they come in.

Upvote 0
Hmm.....couple of things you can try that often sort out buggy apps are
- try clearing the cache and data via Manage Apps in settings then
- do a hard reboot by taking out the battery.

If neither of them work then I'd suggest you head over to the forum for your phone as people there will be better versed in specific settings etc.

Upvote 0
Okay, thanx for that advice.. I've cleared the cache and set up some things in the mail, still, I've managed to get all my mail accounts in the basic 'mail' app.. and the notifications work (I had set them on 15 minutes). The gmail app just didn't work with notifications..

So, I recommend using "google recent mode" if you're using POP on multiple e-mail clients.
Using POP on multiple clients or mobile devices - Gmail Help

Fixing "Google talk authentication failed" message
I unlocked the captcha for my google account, and finally, after everything I tried, I don't get that annoying message
https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

Lastly, I didn't fix the facebook messenger app to get notifications. As I red on other sites, the fb messenger is still buggy on Androids.

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones