• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Icons disappear when keybord slides out or back

iver

Lurker
Aug 26, 2010
Minnesota
First post for me.

I have a Motorola Droid, stock. Every time I open or close the keyboard on it, the icons disappear. Only the dots to change screens and the phone/app launcher/browser will be there. I can move from screen to screen, but all will be blank. It takes anywhere from 10 to 40 seconds to get icons back. I've searched several forums and "Googled" it, but have not found an answer for this. I've tried killing apps that are running in the background. This started several updates ago.
Android Version 2.2.2
Baseband version C_01.43.01P
Build number FRG83G
Any help would be appreciated. :)

This is the redraw issue and it is very annoying. There is a very good solution if you are rooted, but if not, the next best thing is to lock the homescreen in memory. I know this is an option for me in Launcher Pro, and it has been so long since I have not had LP, I don't know if this is custom to that app or if it is in stock. Go to Preferences - General Settings - and click Keep in Memory. Again, this might be a Launcher Pro feature, not stock.

The problem is that the Droid is very short on RAM and when it gets tight (heavy program like Angry Birds, or certain UI actions, like the screen shifting to landscape when you pull the keyboard out), it begins dumping stuff overboard one at a time. The homescreens are given (IIRC) a priority of 4, and the "lock in memory" bumps up their priority to either 0 or 1. This way it will dump other stuff, and only dump the homescreens when all else is gone.

Upvote 0
I know this is an option for me in Launcher Pro, and it has been so long since I have not had LP, I don't know if this is custom to that app or if it is in stock. Go to Preferences - General Settings - and click Keep in Memory. Again, this might be a Launcher Pro feature, not stock.

This IS only a LP feature, and can't be done on the stock home launcher. However, if you are using ADW or some other home replacement app, then they may have it too.

Upvote 0
This is OT, but how are you liking that DINC2? I am trying to decide which Verizon phone to get now, that one, the Charge, the DX2, or wait for the Bionic.

Well, coming from the OG Droid, I absolutely LOVE it. giant leap in processor tech, much more onboard space for apps that can't go on the SD (1GB), HTC Sense 2.1 (which IMO is the best skin over Blur or TouchWiz), bigger SLCD screen, better camera, HD recording. Also (which was a biggie for me) the battery lasts a lot longer! with conservative settings (like not running GPS and Bluetooth all day) my personal record so far is 18 hours with 40% left. Also, it's a world phone and has front facing camera. I could go on forever, lol. But I won't.

The reason I turned away from phones like 4G and DX2 is that the screens are too big. I feel like 4.3" is a bit too large, and between that and my OG Droid (3.7") the Inc 2 was a happy medium (4"). Also, I don't get 4G, and even if I did, the battery life on the TB is too sucky, and I'm not a fan of Touchwiz or Blur, so the Charge and Bionic are eliminated as well. Pretty much, it was the best phone for me with all of my requirements: Needs to be HTC, bigger screen than 3.7", and good battery life. Trust me, I waited for a long time for a phone like this to come out. I had my upgrade since November!

sorry for the lengthy response, hah :D

Upvote 0
No problem, that is the type of information I am looking for. I am trying to decide whether the dual core in the Droid X2 or Bionic will be worth the Blur hassle. I suppose I could just use Launcher Pro to override it. My wife and daughter have DINC's, though, and love them, so that leans me in the HTC direction.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones