• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS to introduce some levels of uniformity

Upvote 0
This doesnt actually mean the user can switch to the stock experience though -- actually this is really just a baby step where app devs can request the stock theme for any buttons, widgets, etc. in their apps.

While nice, the fragmentation across devices needs to be fixed at the content provider and API level.

This is still a step in the right direction though. But it's not the kind of (optional) protection from manufacturer and carrier customization we all want, unfortunately.

Edit: Also I moved this thread to the Android lounge as I think lots of people with different devices may be interested in this :)

Reactions: mrqs
Upvote 0
I just read about this today for the first time. My question is - how will this affect the custom ROM development side of ICS? I mean, I have seen negative comments mentioned, for example, about Moto Blur theme and how glad some ROM devs were to ditch it and use something of their own creation instead. When I see the word "required" I always envision being told I maybe cannot do what I might prefer to do when modifying something. So could this Holo theme inclusion, required in order to access Google Play, put a kink in developer abilities to change the user experience on their ROMs?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones