• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Idea for a new app, seeking your advice!

drybin

Jul 11, 2010
Hey guys, I was just sitting at my computer and wondering "Why does my Droid X have an 8pm camera and my laptop only has a 640x480 crappy cam?"

Then it hit me, what if there was an app (or some kind of program?) that would allow me to (via USB tether) use my DX camera as a webcam for programs like skype?

I know that this is not as simple/easy as it sounds, and I don't even know if the hardware of the DX would allow it, but what do you guys think?

Feedback and/or suggestions welcome!

I don't see why you couldn't........but can certainly see why you wouldn't want to.

The DX camera has the ability to capture 720p video, but utilizing all that bandwith through multiple devices (each one requiring some processing) would be infeasible. Plus the internet bandwidth required for HD video over skype is too high for it to be practical.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones