• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Identifying song title on radio

dominicf

Lurker
Mar 16, 2012
This is probably a stupid question [I'm new to all of this], but I was looking for an app that identifies songs that I'm listening to at the time on my phone's radio.

Can I do this with the likes of 'Soundhound', or are these type of apps just for identifying songs played from an external source, rather than from the phone's radio itself?

Cheers.

As long as Soundhound or Shazam can "hear" they song, they should be able to identify it. So, if your radio app can run in the background and play the music through the phones speaker (or external speakers) so the mic can pick it up, it should work. Who makes a radio app that doesn't say what song is playing?

Upvote 0
I just tried the built in FM radio (or FM-Two app) on my Galaxy Player, with headphones plugged in and ext speaker on, Shazam will not "listen", so does not work. With Jango running it does listen and gives you results. I think it only works with no headphones (but real FM radio doesn't work without headphones plugged in).

edit:: I just tried Soundhound too, it also doesn't work. The headphones seem to disconnect the mic, if the mic is disconnected, neither work.

Reactions: dominicf
Upvote 0
I just tried the built in FM radio (or FM-Two app) on my Galaxy Player, with headphones plugged in and ext speaker on, Shazam will not "listen", so does not work. With Jango running it does listen and gives you results. I think it only works with no headphones (but real FM radio doesn't work without headphones plugged in).

edit:: I just tried Soundhound too, it also doesn't work. The headphones seem to disconnect the mic, if the mic is disconnected, neither work.

Thanks very much Tcat.

I shall try 'Jango' with your method of playing the radio through external speaker and see how I go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones