• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If you had the choice today...

Here is an Epic plus that no one has mentioned. Isn't it nice how the screen stays clean and if there is a smudge, it wipes right off. I saw my friend's Evo last night and her screen was totally smudged to the max and mine was perfectly shiny. Must be that Gorilla glass. My Epic works great. Took a while for the battery to settle in but I am finally getting a full day for what I need it for. I also have a loose top piece that rattles when I tap the screen. My wife's Epic doesn't have that. Her phone is perfect in every way. I probably will return mine for the loose slide mechanism but I am leery that I will get one with more issues than this one.
Can't argue that. My Evo gets smudgy as hell.

Upvote 0
Are you serious? That kinda sucks. I'm gonna be buying a polarized shade soon so I'm kinda glad I returned the Epic and keeping my Evo.
Uhh... I have polarized sunglasses and I can see my Epic screen just fine. The only time it gets remotely unviewable is at a 45 degree angle... and nobody holds their phone at a 45 degree angle. But yeah.... uh... go ahead and return the phone because of an unconfirmed rumor!

Upvote 0
i actually just wanna keep the phone that's gonna hold it's value better/longer. right now i think that would be the Evo since they're still kinda hard to find.

but, i'm still testing out the Epic for now. after rooting and going back to stock, software issues i seemed to have had are gone and i'm getting better battery life vs my Evo thus far. i'm also learning to use the physical keyboard.

still not happy that there's a little play with the top half of the device since i'd much rather rock this thing without a case, but w/e.

if only there were a rumor about the next Android phone coming to Sprint...

Upvote 0
^^^ You got yours at Amazon.com, right? Their customer service is excellent. Just return your Epic for a replacement. You'll likely get one that has no play at the top. I love Amazon for their customer service.

i'm afraid to lol it's negligible. i showed it to my brother and he thought i was being picky. though he has a samsung moment that has absolutely no play on the two halfs.

i just don't wanna return it and then get one back that has lots of issues when this one only has one =/

Upvote 0
I am so on the fence as well and just agonizing over the decision. I dumped my Treo 750 on AT&T, don't laugh, and picked up an Epic two weeks ago from Best Buy. I love it. Great keyboard for long or jargon-laden mail, GPS is great, anti-shake camera good, usually excellent battery life (see below), zippy performance, and I like any number of the alternate launchers and widgets out there so Sense isn't really an issue. (although the Friend app sounds neat and I can't believe the Epic doesn't include Daily Briefing.)

YMMV but the weaknesses *I've* experienced are:

1) Apparently zero noise cancellation when calling. People I call report significant background noise whether wind, restaurant, etc. Not sure EVO would be better but neither appear to have anything like a dual mike.

2) Weak vibrate. I can have it in my pants pocket and never notice. I picked up the Missed Call app and that helps because every few minutes it can long vibrate but it's still a problem. Oddly I've seen folks on the EVO forum complain it vibrates too loud.

3) Frequent but erratic slow 3G speeds. I've done all the radio updates so far.

4) Cell standby battery issues. I've seen some good posts on this. The intermittent fix of enabling airplane mode and immediately disabling airplane mode works but I have to monitor the phone and make sure it hasn't started looking for signals again.

5) Less voice coverage than AT&T. I know Sprint has roaming agreements with Verizon, which theoretically means I should have great service, but the phone doesn't cut over very well. I think there are a number of hacks for the EVO to force roaming and there's even an app called Roam Control for HTC CDMA phones. Not sure how well it works, and the app is supposed to support Samsung phones in the "future," but it's available *now* for EVO.

6) Most importantly a limited ecosystem. I know it's a brand new phone and the international only went on sale June/July, but the Galaxy S is fragmented with a world version and 4 different brands in the US. EVO has a tremendous amount of excitement and momentum. They've got a 1-click root, NAND backup, allegedly a solid and evolving Cyanogen ROM, a billion cases, skins, and other peripherals, and it can even run the Swype beta. It just feels like it's a safer bet for ongoing development.

If it sounds like I'm down on the Epic, I'm not and I absolutely love it, but I just can't decide if the Evo is a better or safer choice than the Epic.

Upvote 0
I've tried both and Epic all the way it is way faster, the screen is amazing, the camera is better. It's definitely the better device imo. The only thing I'd say I'd miss from the evo is some of the sense widgets.

You can probably even find most of them (or very slight variations as they're not actually hTC authentic) on the android market. The clock for example and weather apps are out there. The Beautiful Widget and the Fancy Widget cover those, so I believe. You might have to do some searching for the Beautiful Widget as the site that made it had to take it down but I think it's still out there somewhere. I don't have my smart phone yet so have looked properly.

Upvote 0
Evo 4 or Epic and why?

If I had the choice today. I would have chosen the instant rebate over the mail in rebate lol..

Although, I didn't need or want the hardware keyboard, I wanted Sprint, I wanted Samsung, Im all about the Epic.

My perfect phone would be the size of the EVO with a Samsung CPU/GPU/SAMOLED screen. NO PHYSICAL KEYBOARD!

can you imagine? :)

Upvote 0
i'm afraid to lol it's negligible. i showed it to my brother and he thought i was being picky. though he has a samsung moment that has absolutely no play on the two halfs.

i just don't wanna return it and then get one back that has lots of issues when this one only has one =/

Mine was loose to the point it rattled when I tap on the screen. The Sprint store said I should return it. Best Buy agreed and now I have a new one that works great. Solid in all ways.

Upvote 0
I had the Epic since September 3rd and just shipped it back to Letstalk.com. There were too many problems and work-arounds to enable some of the features.

There was no sync with Outlook, the GPS didn't work, especially in a vehicle, the battery life was poor, and the WiFi's N-band was very poor. In truth the Epic was no better than the Captivate and the Epic was thick and heavy with the slide out keyboard.

All in all it was a big disappointment. And unfortunately there is little support from Samsung. Perhaps in six months or so they will correct some of these flaws but today the software is deficient.

Upvote 0
Uhh... I have polarized sunglasses and I can see my Epic screen just fine. The only time it gets remotely unviewable is at a 45 degree angle... and nobody holds their phone at a 45 degree angle. But yeah.... uh... go ahead and return the phone because of an unconfirmed rumor!

Unless you're ... using the accelerometer... showing something to someone else ... taking it out of your pocket ... picking it up off a surface. Funny you should call it unconfirmed when you just confirmed it.

Upvote 0
I chose Epic, and the reasons why are;
1. Epic seems more like a phone, EVO, more like a square PDA
2. Screen, super AMOLED = amazing
3. DLNA I can transmit HD video I've taken straight to a TV wirelessly
4. Timing, Epic cam out two days after my contract with AT&T expired. I could chose yesterdays news or tomorrows headline

Upvote 0
i bought an epic and my brother bought an evo the same day in comparison other than the screens and maybe gps issues that some have(but i dont suffer from any issues with it) any other comparison is just splitting hairs and is boiling down to personal preference i like my epic over the evo because of the overall hardware design it just feels more like a phone as opposed to the brick design of the evo my only real issues are that pink feeds widget and the back button is a little iffy now and then but not a big deal i came from a blackberry curve and just like that phone if u browse and play and shop for a great deal of time the battery is gonna run down quicker uve gotta be conscious of how much power the screens on these devices will use i still have time to switch my phone out but will only do that if theres a major problem with my epic and ill just get another epic....the media hub couldve been cooler cant preview a movie without wifi or 4g i guess that means the movies are super high quality....sorry didnt mean to write so much

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones