• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If Your Weather Widget Stopped Working, READ HERE

I've been a long-time advocate and user of Transparent Clock & Weather, but there have been updates for the last three consecutive days that have destroyed it. Upon emailing the dev with a detailed laundry list of the issues (only 1 of the 3 weather providers works, and it is consistently 12-15 degrees (F) low, +manual weather update sounds a notification tone even though I have that option disabled), I received the following reply:
If you are writing to report a weather update error please read below.

We have been having problems with the existing weather server since March 10th. We have added two more weather providers, OpenWeatherMap and WorldWeatherOnline but the last one, WorldWeatherOnline seems to be having problems too. We have contacted the people at WorldWeatherOnline and reported the error and they are working on it. We hope that soon they will fix it.
In the meantime, we will also try to implement yet another server in case none of the existing ones can satisfy the demand. Please understand that this will take some time.
Also, due to the high volume of emails coming in regarding the weather problems, there will be a delay in responding.

Please understand that we do everything from our side to keep the application running without problems. In this case, the problem is not caused by the application.

We need your help !!!
If you know any other users of our applications facing similar problems, please inform them about this.

We would really appreciate it if you could post a comment/feedback on the application's page on Google Play regarding this.

Thank you for the patience and understanding.
I also noticed that there have been several complaints of the same issue, and rapid-fire updates to other weather widgets (e.g., Weather & Clock). I conclude from this that there are a limited number of free weather sources that share their API, so everyone has the same issue. I guess the take-away message here is BE PATIENT.
Please spread the word. It should be fixed soon (hopefully).
2073178513.gif

Update: Droid27 seems to have resolved his issues, but strangely, is not taking credit for it or announcing it. The last changelog entry, from 16 March says, "We are aware of the weather issues and we are working hard to get them fixed as soon as possible". Recent positive reviews in Play store made me wonder whether it was fixed or just fanboy raves. I tried TCW again and all seems fine. I would assume the same applies to his other widgets.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
It's probably pretty much fixed.

http://openweathermap.org/

Is what he's settled on and presently it's in agreement with AccuWeather.com for me at the moment.

Both are in agreement with the NWS station 2 miles away from me.

Wasn't last week for me, so maybe he had a chat with open weather map, don't know. I emailed him what I saw going wrong on my end with that service at the time.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones