iGRIP ROK MountAccessories

Last Updated:

1. jikhead

jikhead Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just got my iGRIP ROK Mount in today. This is a very solid mount that has zero vibration when driving. I drive a 370Z and my car has a pretty tight suspension but I didn't experience my phone shaking in the mount at all. I previously bought a Scosche universal mount at Wal-Mart, but it has a bendable arm and it shook like crazy. I have some pics of possible mounting locations on my windshield, along with a video of showing a movie and the Slingplayer app.

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    mb236 likes this.
  2. jbuck1984

jbuck1984 Well-Known Member

thats nice, does that grip open wide enough for a gps or xm unit?

3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Also, does it twist into landscape mode?

4. jikhead

The kit comes with the mini Gripper, which is the smallest of the 3 holders they make. You may want one that has a larger width. See the specs on for each here.

iGRIP - Holding Solutions for Cell Phones, Navigation Devices & MP3 Players

In the video above, it's in landscape mode. The adjustment points on this are not a complete "in any position" mount...but you can virtually put it in any position. The holder can also be mounted at a 180 degree angle as well...which I have not done yet to check optimal/ideal positoning. I'll make another video showing all the adjustments you can make.

I don't like that the two foot pegs don't fold in and out of the way; but they are removable.

jbuck1984 likes this.
  5. jikhead

jbuck1984 likes this.
  6. k408

k408 Active Member

can i have the link to that avatar? :D

7. cbtk18

cbtk18 Active Member

Can this be used with the silicone case from VZW?

8. jikhead

I'm using both the VW black silicon cover and the extended battery...which are both being used in the video and pics.

9. mb236

mb236 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I really appreciate the video. I really like the way it looks.

A few questions for you though,

1) Do you think that it will fit with a innocase II on it?

2) Do you have enough room to plug it into a car charger without having to make any major adjustments?

3) How easy would you say it is to move from car to car?

Thanks again!

10. jikhead

1) Do you think that it will fit with a innocase II on it? After looking at that case, it looks no different in size compared to the VW Silicon case that I'm using. The kit comes with the mini Gripper, which expands to 2.95". If for some reason, this isn't wide enough for you, you could buy the ROK mount and holder separately, and get the Smart Gripper which expands to 3.25".

2) Do you have enough room to plug it into a car charger without having to make any major adjustments? This will depend on the angle of your windshield. I'm in a 370Z. With the phone in portrait mode, I definitely have issues with the AUX cable. To resolve this, I'm going to purchase a new 3.5mm cable that has 90 degreee (right angle) plugs. The charger cable is a non-issue. When the phone is in landscape mode, no issues for either cable. Of course, if I were to move the holder to the far left of windshield and left of the steering column, could run into some issues for both cables due to the limited amount of space to work with.

3) How easy would you say it is to move from car to car? I will shut another video for this and question 2. I'm about to get out and run some errands.

11. jikhead

Hey mb236, here are two quick videos I made for you. Hope they help answer your questions. When I remember to, I'll shoot a video while driving to show how solid the mount is. You'll be able to compare the vibration levels on the mount (virtually none) when compared to my radar detector.

mb236 likes this.
  12. mb236

mb236 Well-Known Member

Wow, I really appreciate you taking the time to make those videos for me. You have really helped me out tremendously. I've purchased mine, and now I just need to play the waiting game.

13. jikhead

No problem. I didn't shoot a video of all the positioning of the mount since I don't have a tripod to hold the camera. But you can look in post #5 and there's a link there of the vendor I bought it from who does a video of it....if you hadn't watched it already.:)

14. mikegb

mikegb Member

15. mikegb

mikegb Member

I've been using this mount for a few weeks now and I thought I would post my thoughts.

Pros:

1.) Easy to mount, solid sunction on my windshield

2.) Easy to attach and detach phone

3.) Does what it says it will do

Cons

1.) With the Incredible attached, the touch screen doesn't work very well for me unless I'm touching the sides of the phone as well. Just touching the touch screen is unresponsive or has a weak response. I know the Incredible has this issue (as noted by others) and I see it quite readily when connected to this car mount.

2.) Relatively short arm. In an SUV and a mini-van, I cannot place the phone in the lower middle of the windshield like the original poster could. The arm is too short to make that practical. You can purchase that extender arm but I didn't want to do that. Instead, I'm forced to put the car mount on the far left side, where the windshield curves in more and thus makes it easily accessible. It does come with a little cup which I could attach to my dashboard but I'd rather just suction it to my windshield.

Summary

Overall I like it. It does what it's supposed to do. If it didn't have that touch sensitive issue, I'd be very happy with it. My previous mount was the SoundGate M2 and I prefer this one by a lot over that one. One other thing, I have the Innocase II case and it works just fine with that too.

16. cr4yo

cr4yo New Member

Just ordered this holder for the HTC Legend and iPhone 4.

Thanks for the input, guys.