• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

mandy318

Lurker
Oct 29, 2011
Hi--I'm a long-time lurker first-time poster. :)

I just switched from an iphone 4 to a Samsung S3. My data usage is unbelievable--a gig a week. Our plan is for 6/month and my husband has a Nokia Lumina 920 so you can do the math!

I called AT&T and stopped into the store, but they really are only helpful if giving me tips to cap my data usage so I don't go over plan.

I am really wondering if there is a phone setting I'm missing that can help slow this down.

What I've done so far: I disabled the background data on the apps that draw the most data--Netflix and Youtube by a long shot.

I should add: the same week I got this phone our wifi router started acting up and our wifi access at home was spotty. I get that this probably impacted the data usage in a big way--but when I had my iphone, I didn't hook up to wifi while at work and I was kind of lazy about switching back to wifi at home--and we did not come close to our limit, so I really do think the phone is the main cause, not the spotty wifi....

TIA for any help!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones