• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm Officially Retiring My Transformer

Stuntman

Android Expert
Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
I got my Transformer almost 3 years ago. I decided to get the Transformer because of the keyboard dock. I was hoping to be able to use it as a PC replacement.

I used it quite a bit for about a year. I found it could replace my PC 75% of the time. What I liked most is the fact that I can wake it from sleep almost instantly. The PC takes much longer to wake from sleep. The lighter form factor does make a bit of difference when pulling it out. I also take my Transformer with me instead of my PC when travelling. Its smaller size and lower weight makes it significantly more mobile than a laptop (which is my primary PC).

After a year, the novelty wore out. The Transformer was slower than my PC. Also, I found that I had to pull out my PC enough times that it was inconvenient when using my tablet, I would then have to pull out my PC anyway. The biggest killer came in the form of the Galaxy S3 phone. Often, I would reach for my phone over my tablet. The Transformer was getting squeezed from both ends. My GS3 was also faster than my Transformer. Why take extra seconds to do on my Transformer when I could do it faster on my GS3. If I need to do a lot of typing, the Transformer's smaller keyboard was just no match for a full-sized keyboard on my laptop.

I didn't completely stop using my transformer at that time. However, it was religated to a travel device and a poker timer. I still don't bring my laptop when travelling because of the increased bulk. The Transformer was still easier to move to my game room when hosting poker home games.

The Transformer did have a number of issues that I put up with all this time. The sound would cut out and required a reboot to restore. The home screen icons would disappear and again required a reboot. Even though I used it only once every couple of months, it became a chore to charge it and then set up the poker timer and test that the sound still works and reboot if it didn't. Using it has become more trouble than it's worth.

The final blow to the Transformer came from the iPad Mini. My wife had one since last year, but she doesn't use it. She prefers just using her iPhone instead. Since it had been collecting dust for several months, I decided to fire it up and use it. I just recently got an iPhone for work, but I don't use it for personal stuff much. I have a better opportunity to really try out iOS with the iPad Mini.

After using the iPad Mini for a week now, I see no reason to use the Transformer anymore. The iPad can be my poker timer and does other things to fill the role of a tablet. I'm also not plagued by many of the issues I have experienced with the transformer. Although, I will miss having a physical keyboard when I go travelling, I'll manage. If not, I'll see if I can find a third party keyboard for it.

I'm not quite in the same scenario, but once I got my N7, that was basically the death knell for my Transformer. While I can still think of scenarios where the Transformer's specifically useful, they've (perhaps regrettably) become increasingly rare.

The fact that I just updated my Droid RAZR MAXX to a zippy and largish HTC One M8 isn't helping matters for my Transformer.

Honestly, if anyone was looking to buy, I'd be happy to talk about selling. I've got the keyboard dock as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones