• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Impressed with Epic's official Froyo firmware

SlyFerret

Android Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2009
So, who else is impressed with the official Froyo firmware?

I was pretty happy with the original 2.1 firmware on my Epic. I didn't really feel the need to put a 3rd party ROM on it because it worked so well for me.

I know it's been a long wait, but, I think I'm happy that Samsung/Sprint took the time to get this one right.

-SF

I am sorry but ota updates to me are the cause. The otw update like how the moment as updated went fine. They recalled it for update issues not the release being bad. That leads me to believe that eb13 is fine. It also warns to back up everything before doing it. I ish there was a way to make every epic 9owner complete a survey on how they did there update and if it worked. I bet a lot went fine . I am absolutely impressed with this phone once updated and i can see me actually keeping it for atleast the year. I still have my Moment and use it daily as well cause it is still that good of a phone contrary to what many believe. Good job samsung!

Upvote 0
I'm pleased with the upgrade because the bugs (which do exist and are visible -- vanishing icons, for instance) have been minor compared to the enhancements in overall speed, minimized crashing, flash implementation, much-improved GPS performance, syncing and battery life, and added options on most of the settings pages.

Upvote 0
I used update.zip, took less than 10 minutes, barely more than 5 actually. The first few days the battery life was worse then when the phone was new. First night, going to bed with a full charge, it died before the alarm was to go off in the morning...about 6 hours later! However, last night, giong to bed with full charge, woke up with 93%...about 8 hours later.

Yes, I figured out some of my settings for autokill and startup had changed, so I put them back and now everything is great. But I didn't lose any icons, no programs went away, no files missing from the SD card, it just Worked.

One thing I really really like, other than flash that lets me watch my movies from home using Subsonic (GO GET IT BTW), is being able to edit the buttons at the bottom. I now have contacts, handcent, calendar, and Dialer One instead of the stock buttons. HUGE improvement for me, in addition to all the minor ones.

(Oh, and I ordered the 3500 mah battery for 30 bucks, so that'll help if the battery issue comes back.)

Upvote 0
i took it back to DI18 for now .. spare time is something i seldom see to sit at a PC but when i get some ill try the 200mb install but i dont see what will differ . . . someone says its the full install as opposed to just an update .. idk im not super slick when it comes to phones i know just enough for what i need to know lol but it cant hurt to try . . anyone have an opinion ? .. worse case i can always flash back . . . .

Upvote 0
i took it back to DI18 for now .. spare time is something i seldom see to sit at a PC but when i get some ill try the 200mb install but i dont see what will differ . . . someone says its the full install as opposed to just an update .. idk im not super slick when it comes to phones i know just enough for what i need to know lol but it cant hurt to try . . anyone have an opinion ? .. worse case i can always flash back . . . .

Tried the update.zip and it was unstable on our Epic (fc's, black screens and reboots). Flashed with the official updater which wiped the phone and it was better but still had nagging issues (less fc's and black screens, but still there). Did a hard reset and re d/l (as opposed to using Ti b/u) all apps and it seems to be fine now. I would recommend a full update (updater or Odin, your choice) followed by a hard reset to be sure. I also had to clear the sd card cache for the camera and music to work correctly, an issue many are having.

[sarcasm] I'm impressed with Epic's official Froyo firmware too [/sarcasm].

Upvote 0
i'm sorry but eb13 sucks. laggy, browser now sucks, tired of sms notifications hanging out long after i've read them. i've manually reset it and even did two other complete re-flashes from the beginning. then add in the fact that my wife has the same phone with the same issues flashed from a different computer - seriously, i simply don't believe the people that say they have ZERO issues.

Upvote 0
i'm sorry but eb13 sucks. laggy, browser now sucks, tired of sms notifications hanging out long after i've read them. i've manually reset it and even did two other complete re-flashes from the beginning. then add in the fact that my wife has the same phone with the same issues flashed from a different computer - seriously, i simply don't believe the people that say they have ZERO issues.

I'm not sure what the deal is to be honest. I updated via update.zip, didn't do a hard reset or anything. My phone isn't laggy, Browser was fine, but I use Dolphin HD regardless, and I'm not having any issues with SMS notifications.

I had Handcent setup before the upgrade, and it's working the exact same way as before. Only one notification, and it goes away the second I open up the app.

I'm still considering a hard reset, just to see if it changes anything, but I really don't know why I would.

The biggest thing I'm peeved about is the "Time Without Signal" thing is still an issue. So, each time I turn my phone off, I do the airplane mode switch, but over the past few days, it doesn't seem to be as effective as it was with 2.1.1.

Upvote 0
I thought with 2.2 the stock browser was supposed to have tabs? Anyways, I've used all of the browsers in the market, opera, dolphin, skyfire.... but the best by far is xscope. Xscope pro esspecially with their new update is great and it has tabs! Its a lot like using chrome.
I had camera issues by the way after froyo update. Updated camera firmware and did factory reset and works fine now.

Upvote 0
I updated via the update.zip method and everything runs perfectly for me! the battery life is dramatically better and the phone runs seamlessly, just rooted it today and am thinking of flashing a rom but am not sure, don't know much if anything what difference a rom would make. One thing I did notice (and not a big deal [to me anyways]) is that Quadrant Standard scores only went up around 80points average, I am sitting around 1050... Also after rooting and overclocking to 1ghz, the scores actually dropped =O any idea why? And does anyone have any suggestions for any good roms running off of 2.2.1? Have never flashed before so want a stable but good one for my first time. I rooted via CWM 3.0.0.5/6 one click method here

Upvote 0
So, who else is impressed with the official Froyo firmware?

I was pretty happy with the original 2.1 firmware on my Epic. I didn't really feel the need to put a 3rd party ROM on it because it worked so well for me.

I know it's been a long wait, but, I think I'm happy that Samsung/Sprint took the time to get this one right.

-SF

Well since Froyo hasn't been officially released, because of all the bugs, and the fact that, not all that much has changed, I'd say I'm certainly not impressed. I had to swap my phone out, for a refurb with 2.1, because 2.2.1 cut my battery life in half, and had much slower 3G speeds.

Upvote 0
I think I'm more surprised by the fact that an official release of Froyo was so buggy. I updated my now-bricked Epic 4G with DK28. Here were the issues:

- Significantly lower performance speeds overall, lagging everywhere
- Wifi would not connect more than once per restart
- GPS unable to lock on within 2000 meters
- Calendar applications and widgets were unable to detect Gmail subcalendars for syncing
- Bluetooth connectivity prone to shutoff on its own
- Camera automatically geotagging photos
- Voicemail app was not recognizing new voicemails (instead I had to dial in to check voicemails)
- Some Desktop Visualizer widgets would sometimes not work after a restart (and then repeated restarts), so I had to delete and re-add the ones that didn't work
- The pull-down notification window's brightness adjuster feature was inconsistent and was left to either the brightest or darkest settings
- After selecting to download or update apps, the phone would fail to do so, leaving the "Beginning to downloading" or "Installing..." going on in the background. I had to make sure the phone would follow through on downloads, otherwise the download would disappear into the background and murder my battery life.

That phone bricked when I tried to Odin back to Eclair. I exchanged it for a refurbed Epic 4G, which I wiped then updated to EB13 manually (then wiped again). Now? None of those are issues. This phone is faster than ever and it's fully functional. I can actually make use of all the apps I download. After dealing with DK28, this feels like an entirely new phone.

Upvote 0
I think there's a bit of proof of why it's imperative to start from a clean slate on firmware upgrades. And while I enjoyed stock EB13, I updated back to Bonsai with it's official update on EB13 and it was even smoother. Then I gave Syndicate a go, and it was a whole new phone. Things just snap to the screen like I haven't seen on the phone. And I do wonder if CarrierIQ is one of the culprits lagging down the phone and decreasing battery life. Would be interesting to see if Bonsai ditches CarrierIQ and the difference in how it runs between the two.

Upvote 0
Well since Froyo hasn't been officially released, because of all the bugs, and the fact that, not all that much has changed, I'd say I'm certainly not impressed. I had to swap my phone out, for a refurb with 2.1, because 2.2.1 cut my battery life in half, and had much slower 3G speeds.

Froyo was officially released then pulled back. Technically it isn't currently officially available but it was officially released...

Upvote 0
The only issue I have with EB13 is the Bluetooth support. The bluetooth voice diasling is still buggy..(1).the phone fails to disconnect even when headset is turned off.when this happens, phone sounds, even though volume is turned up, are muted.. (2) the volume of stock bluetooth voice dialer can't be adjusted when giving commands like Choice Dialer +

It appears, from other forums, that EB13 has faulty A2DP implementation

There is also problems supporting the newest headsets like the Q2, icon, and voyager pro

I can't believe that a phone like the Epic doesn't have all stock functions working properly. Even the lowly "Moment" had better bluetooth support. Those of us on the road, who need true hands free bluetooth, are out in the cold again,,,Cmon Sprint!/Samsung!:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones