• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories In-Ears with mic for Atrix

Colmss

Apr 7, 2011
Hi,

I just bought a Motorola Atrix and as it happens my old InEar phones (Creative EP 630) just broke. I like those ones but they break too quickly... it was already my second pair.
Now I wondered two things:

• Can I purchase any phones with mic and plug it into the 3.5mm slot and the phone will accept phones and mic?
  • Are there mic/phone combos with comparable sound quality two the EP630? If yes, which ones? If not do you have any other recommendations?
Thanks!

The Atrix DOES support any STANDARD headphones with the mic.

APPLE does not use a standard pin placement on their headphones. So, the problem with the iPhone headset not working is that the iPhone headsets are NOT STANDARD. Just about anything with a rotten apple on it is going to be proprietary.

As further proof that the Atrix uses STANDARD headsets, these are the ones I use and recommend:
Amazon.com: Premium Blackberry OEM Original 3.5mm Stereo Headset HDW-15766-005 for RIM BlackBerry 8900 Curve, Storm 9530, Pearl Flip 8220, 8300 Curve Cell Phone: Electronics

They are the same ones that came with my old BlackBerry 9000 and I love them! The sound quality on calls is great, not to mention they are really crisp, clean and have a nice bass kick for music.

About the only thing that is not standard on the Android phones are the multimedia headsets (The ones with volume, play/pause, next, back buttons). Those require extra pinouts in the jack, and none of the manufactures will agree on that. I wish they had. I had a set of the BB Multimedia ones (Same as the ones I linked to, but with media controls) and they would not work with any android phone I tried. :(

EDIT - Clarification... the multimedia headset did work for calls (mic and sound) and for listening to music. It's just the multimedia CONTROLS that didn't work.

Upvote 0
Okay. I read about headphones that don't work with the Atrix. Probably these were iPhone optimized.
Now it's too late though ;)

You can never have too many headsets! I have about 4!!!

I've tried 2 BlackBerry branded, 1 Pair from a buddy's HTC, and different set's of Jabra wired headsets. All worked fine with the exception of media controls on that one set of BB ones.

I still have: the one set of BB (Like I linked to) in my Laptop bag, one Jabra (Wired, mono, over ear) that I use in the car, the pair from my buddy's HTC somewhere (???), and A Jabra BT3030 (Bluetooth Dog Tag with media controls) that I LOVE!!!!!

And, the pisser is... I can never find any of them when I NEED them!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones