• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

In the US for 3 mo. with int'l GSM equipment. What carrier would you use?

CafeKampuchia

Android Expert
Dec 8, 2011
Pursat, Cambodia
That's the story. I have three international GSM devices that use sim cards, an HTC Wildfire S, HTC One V, plus my trusty SGT 8.9 3G. I need a plan for voice and data, but only for three months. I know I'm looking at pay-as-you-go. I'm somewhat familiar with AT&T but see a bunch of other small carriers too. I'll be based in VA and MI, but will also do some time in OH and visit FL for a couple days. The mobile data/tethering may be my only daily internet option.

Thoughts?

Tks in advance!

I would suggest picking up a SIM from Straight Talk or Simple Mobile, it's quite cheap, plus you have plenty of options. Straight Talk uses both AT&T's and T-Mobile's networks, depending on what 3G frequencies your devices support. Simple Mobile uses T-Mobile's network, but it can be a little cheaper. By doing this you can get the most for your money, while still getting the same quality of service.

Simple Mobile: SIMPLE Mobile | No Contract Unlimited Wireless Plans
Straight Talk: Shop - Service Plan

Using either of these carriers, you can expect to pay half the cost of what AT&T or T-Mobile would charge you.

Reactions: CafeKampuchia
Upvote 0
Wow! Only downside I see so far is no tethering and neither of my devices is "officially" approved. How old are these companies? I've been out of the US for only 2 1/2 years and never heard of them.

Straight Talk seems to have a bad reputation for shutting you off if they feel you're abusing the service (i.e.: texting too much, using too much bandwidth etc.). Google this and you will find a lot about it. As for the other company, I've never heard of them. IMHO your safest bet is to go with T-Mobile as they are a good solid company... and you can't beat a 99 cent sim card. The online only (order it via web) 30 dollar a month prepaid plan (100 minutes) is nice, especially if you use Google Voice for free phone calls anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. ;)

Reactions: CafeKampuchia
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones