• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Increase range with Network Extender

Whatstreet

Android Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2011
Fremont, CA
I'm doing a contract gig in the San Diego area. I got a furnished studio apartment in La Jolla which overlooks a park area in the gulch between the hills. The apartment was built by digging out the hillside so its under ground on three sides and is all glass on the wall facing out of the hill. It truly is a man cave, but it came with a curse. The problem was my cell phone received almost no signal inside the apartment.

I looked into cell phone repeaters antennas and such as a solution. I selected the Verizon Samsung Network Extender. This device provides a femtocell site inside the apartment. The device plugs into a LAN with internet access using an Ethernet cable for back haul to the Verizon network.

Installation was not difficult but it does take some time for the device to establish itself on the network. I'm not sure why, but the device uses a built in GPS to find its location and so it is necessary to place it next to the glass of some window where the sky is visible. This is the biggest con, but after it establishes the connection it isn't as finicky about the location. It needs to remain on when moving it though or the lengthy startup process is repeated.

No more dropped calls when in the apartment. However, I have observed that it doesn't transfer a call to anther cell tower when talking on the phone and walking out of range of the network extender or visa versa. Still, this is better than only being able to use the phone when standing on the deck outside.

I recommend this device if you have low signal in your house which leads to dropped calls and high battery drain.

Cheers

This is a nice post. I've used an extender at my house, which is a dead zone for every carrier for some reason.

I'm not sure why, but the device uses a built in GPS to find its location

This is for three reasons: it uses GPS to get proper time and location information (cell tower triangulation is one way to get location services). Second, the Network Extender is only allowed to be used in a Verizon digital service area, so you cannot bring it to an international destination to get local service rates for calls to the US, or even to a location where Verizon roams in the US (even though the signal is carried over your own network service.) Third, I assume that 911 operators will want to know your location if you call.

Upvote 0
I have observed that it doesn't transfer a call to anther cell tower when talking on the phone and walking out of range of the network extender or visa versa.
That's because you're on a VoIP call, not a cell call (even though Verizon is charging you if you don't have unlimited service). When you go from a VoIP device (the extender is pretty much working as a VoIP modem) to a cell device, there's no way to transfer the call. (Yet - at one time you couldn't send MMS from one carrier to another, so I see a day when every major carrier has seamless coverage all over, even if part of it is an extender or your cordless phone that talks Bluetooth to your cellphone.)

Upvote 0
That's because you're on a VoIP call, not a cell call (even though Verizon is charging you if you don't have unlimited service). When you go from a VoIP device (the extender is pretty much working as a VoIP modem) to a cell device, there's no way to transfer the call.

This is not true. Calls placed while on the extender can be transferred to a cell tower when you leave coverage of the extender area. I have placed calls from my home and stayed connected when I drove away from the house. However, calls from Verizon's cell towers cannot be transferred to an extender when you come into range. I have lost calls as I drive up my driveway and approach the house, even when I'm then in range of the extender.

As far as the phone is concerned, these are not VoIP calls. The phone acts as if you are connected to a cell tower. Basically, the only difference is that the extender uses your internet connection to backhaul to their network.

See http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/Equipment/network_extender.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones