• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Incredible Accelerometer

Randino

Android Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2010
North Carolina
I know the phone only flips to landscape mode when tilt it to the left, but has anyone else noticed that this isn't a hardware issue, merely a software issue?

Case in point, I have an app called Floating Image.
Floating Image - Android app on AppBrain
anywho this is a photo app that displays your photos streaming across the phone randomly, when you rotate the phone, the orientation changes, but you can rotate it left, right, or even upside down and it recognizes the orientation, so this shows that if someone was so inclined, (not me) they might could develop an app to enable this across the phone.

Any ideas?

software issue only. an app can easily take advantage of the accelerometer moving in any direction. an example is the bubble level app.

you don't see the option for landscape in the other direction because it makes more sense for the trackball/pad to be on your right side when in landscape.

Upvote 0
this is for a reason, when you are viewing a screen or picture they don't want it orientating around on every little move, they give it a second to be sure that is what you want. for example i believe there is a pre-loaded game called "teeter". you want to see your accelometer and stuff in action fire that game up from the app list.

Upvote 0
I am not talking a few seconds. Sometimes 5-8 seconds and sometimes never and I need to "shake" it for it to work as well. Not a biggie but it would be nice for it to be a little speedier.

Go to menu -> Settings -> Sound & Display -> At the bottom, G-senor Calibration.

Re-calibrate the sensor and see if things don't improve for you.

Reactions: pequeajim
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones