• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible & GeoTagging

I don't understand why anyone Geotags anyway? Don't you remember where you were when you took your photo? I'm not being flippant, I truly don't understand why anyone would want this feature.

Just because you wouldn't use a feature doesn't mean it shouldn't exist and someone else won't need it.

I'm a herpetologist and I spend lots of time finding snakes in the wild. Over the course of a single weekend I'll put 1000 miles on my car and sometimes take pictures of 20 or 30 snakes. Could I look at one of those pictures 5 years from now and go back to that very spot? not likely. That's why I love my gps and notes. Geotagging a photo would allow me to dispense with writing anything down. I snap a photo and I have the info I need for later use.

Upvote 0
I seem to have come up with my own answer on innacurate geotagging. Some times when you ask for the location of a picture maps presents innacurately. The solution is to designate the photo as a footprint and then you will get an accurate map presentation there. Or upload to picasaweb and u will find that it wad tagged acurately after all its just that maps isn't presrnting accurately on phone.

Upvote 0
DINC uses assisted GPS:
A-GPS additionally uses network resources to locate and utilize the satellites faster as well as better in poor signal conditions. In very poor signal conditions, for example in a city, these signals may suffer multipath propagation where signals bounce off buildings, or be weakened by passing through atmospheric conditions, walls or tree cover. When first turned on in these conditions, some standalone GPS navigation devices may not be able to work out a position due to the fragmentary signal, rendering them unable to function until a clear signal can be received continuously for up to 12.5 minutes (the time needed to download the GPS almanac and ephemeris).[2]
An Assisted GPS system can address these problems by using data available from a network.
Assistance falls into two categories:
Information used to more quickly acquire satellites
It can supply orbital data or almanac for the GPS satellites to the GPS receiver, enabling the GPS receiver to lock to the satellites more rapidly in some cases.
The network can provide precise time.
The device captures a snapshot of the GPS signal, with approximate time, for the server to later process into a position.
Accurate, surveyed coordinates for the cell site towers allow better knowledge of local ionospheric conditions and other conditions affecting the GPS signal than the GPS receiver alone, enabling more precise calculation of position. (See also Wide Area Augmentation System and CellHunter and openBmap.)
Calculation of position by the server using information from the GPS receiver
The assistance server has a good satellite signal, and plentiful computation power, so it can compare fragmentary signals relayed to it

with fresh A-GPS data loaded, I've seen Time To First Fix of around 3-5 seconds sitting in my house in a suburban neighborhood.

an app called GPS status will give you lots of info about your GPS and other phone sensors, like TTFF. It will also help you manage A-GPS data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones