• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible to Droid X?

I'm in the exact same position that the OP was.
I have till this Thursday to decide. My problem is that the local vzw stores don't have a DX demo(as expected), but there also is no Sprint store around here(small town, no sprint service) to get an idea of the size from an EVO. Except maybe a RadioShack, which ill check tomorrow.

So right now I'm kind of stuck with having to decide from what I see on the net. :(

I use my phone's for mainly the same as the OP. Few calls, some texting, vids, games, and nav; a lot of music, web browsing, email, pda, etc.

If I can't get to at least see an EVO for a virtual comparison in size, it's going to be a very hard, irreversible decision for me. I'm thinking the size won't be a problem for me because i'm a pretty big guy,(6' 4" with big hands :p) but you never know.

bleh
/rant

Upvote 0
tell you what i think as a dinc owner and my wife has a moto droid. so when sprint launched the evo, i decided to order 2 for my wife and i and take advantage of the 30 day trial. THE EVO FEELS WAY BIGGER AND HEAVIER than my inc. it's inconvenient when using with one hand. I'm returning them both before the 30 day trial is up

That being said, the X is even bigger in length than the evo, which to me seems ridiculous. there's no way the x is gonna work out for me if the evo felt too big. the inc might be a little small, but the evo was too big. i think a 4" screen would be ideal. i'll wait to see the samsung galaxy S. Droid X, no thanks.

Upvote 0
but there also is no Sprint store around here(small town, no sprint service) to get an idea of the size from an EVO. Except maybe a RadioShack, which ill check tomorrow.
T-Mobile HD2 should also suffice for comparison purposes.

Inc 4.6" x 2.3" x 0.47"
EVO 4.8" x 2.6" x 0.5"
HD2 4.8" x 2.64" x 0.43"
X 5" x 2.6" x 0.4"

I think the X cheats bit on the width as that top part with the camera does stick out another 1/4", I've heard.

Upvote 0
No one has brought up a key issue? Build quality. Both our Inc's are getting replaced after a month. One shattered from a low fall and the other overheats (even when not actived on cell service) and goes into a reboot loop. Verizon has been really good on all fronts lately and we won't be leaving. There have already been a few iphone 4 shattered backs and the little problem of no signal if you hold the phone in your left hand. I guess phones are becoming similar that way.

I've owned pda's and or smartphones for 13 years and cell phones for 20 years. This is my first experience of devices breaking so soon. I've since reactivated an old WM phone (a Saga) until the X comes out. Hey Bing voice navigation works ok. :) I can drop it and not worry. It doesn't overheat but WM does need a master reset occasionally. The UI just hurts and Android is king. Open Source!

If you have Netflix, search for Revolution OS.

Upvote 0
tell you what i think as a dinc owner and my wife has a moto droid. so when sprint launched the evo, i decided to order 2 for my wife and i and take advantage of the 30 day trial. THE EVO FEELS WAY BIGGER AND HEAVIER than my inc. it's inconvenient when using with one hand. I'm returning them both before the 30 day trial is up

That being said, the X is even bigger in length than the evo, which to me seems ridiculous. there's no way the x is gonna work out for me if the evo felt too big. the inc might be a little small, but the evo was too big. i think a 4" screen would be ideal. i'll wait to see the samsung galaxy S. Droid X, no thanks.

I love that guys reviews very funny

Upvote 0
Android 2.2 ? Where is the fact sheet for that?? Haven't seen it yet. :(

are you asking for proof that 2.2 will speed up the phone? Check the first post of the official moto x sticky. It has a quadrant benchmark test that shows the Nexus one with 2.1 and then the nexus one with 2.2. that is a good indication of how much faster this phone will be with 2.2 and the JIT compiler

Upvote 0
T-Mobile HD2 should also suffice for comparison purposes.

Inc 4.6" x 2.3" x 0.47"
EVO 4.8" x 2.6" x 0.5"
HD2 4.8" x 2.64" x 0.43"
X 5" x 2.6" x 0.4"

I think the X cheats bit on the width as that top part with the camera does stick out another 1/4", I've heard.

No T-Mobile store here either. lol But I'll look for that one as well in the third-party stores here.
Thanks

Upvote 0
The whole "try placing device X" in your pocket is funny to me, do we really pick our smartphones based on whether it will comfortably fit in our jeans pocket? I mean, aren't there other more important factors, like user experience? I know VZW stores don't have a model (I went to one yesterday just to see), which is ridiculous on their part, but don't you want to know if motoblur (or non-motoblur, or skin, or non skin, or whatever) works for you?

Upvote 0
I think its more about comparing the size with similar phone. The putting it in your pocket is just a bonus that you can test while your doing it. At least thats how I look at it.

I'm pretty positive that any of the big phones will fit in my pockets, I just haven't actually held one of them yet to see if they're to big for my tastes or what.

@lexluthor: Ya, thats what I was thinking too. I'm pretty sure one of the stores here will have one of those at least.

Upvote 0
but don't you want to know if motoblur (or non-motoblur, or skin, or non skin, or whatever) works for you?
I guess it would be nice. I'm sure I'll get used to it either way.

For me, I don't really have a choice. My Inc has to go back tomorrow or I keep it for 2 years.

I'm willing to switch to the X just based on what I've seen so far.

Upvote 0
I'm in the exact same position that the OP was.
I have till this Thursday to decide. My problem is that the local vzw stores don't have a DX demo(as expected), but there also is no Sprint store around here(small town, no sprint service) to get an idea of the size from an EVO. Except maybe a RadioShack, which ill check tomorrow.

So right now I'm kind of stuck with having to decide from what I see on the net. :(

I use my phone's for mainly the same as the OP. Few calls, some texting, vids, games, and nav; a lot of music, web browsing, email, pda, etc.

If I can't get to at least see an EVO for a virtual comparison in size, it's going to be a very hard, irreversible decision for me. I'm thinking the size won't be a problem for me because i'm a pretty big guy,(6' 4" with big hands :p) but you never know.

bleh
/rant

Best buy and the like has the EVO if you have one of those around. Wally world may even have it...

the size will be hard to get use to on a phone. I am not impressed with HTC's ability as a company, so my DINC will get played with just because I have waited so long for it to come in. Unless I just love it incredibly it's going back when the x is released though. Its only a 1/2 inch longer and just a little wider then the dinc right. longer battery life ???? if so it will be worth it I think

Upvote 0
Closest BB to me is about 2hrs away. lol (which is where I got my DInc) I know walmart doesn't have an EVO or HD2 to check out as well, already checked. Will be checking RadioShack later today, I'm pretty sure they have at least one of those two in the store.

And yea, the early battery reports is a major draw to the DX. I don't use mine nearly as much as a lot of people, and my DInc still drains waay fast.

Upvote 0
For anyone who ordered the DInc and is still waiting for it to be delivered, were you given the option of switching to a Droid X (pre-order)?

Yesterday when I called to check on my delivery status, I was told that so long as my DInc hadn't shipped, I could switch my order to a Droid X. I did my research, decided to do that, called today and was told that no, I cannot make that switch. All I can do is take my DInc (presuming it ever actually gets delivered) to a Verizon Wireless store to return it and pre-order the X at that point, meaning I'd be without a phone until the X arrives.

Does anyone have any info on the accuracy of this? I'm quickly learning that what I'm told depends entirely upon what CSR I get on the phone.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Well went looking for a sprint/tmobile retailer while i was out today to see an Evo or HD2 and compare the size. Not one sprint or tmobile first or third party retailer here.. lol

So looks like I'll have to make my choice without seeing a comparable sized phone.(unless i decide to go on a small road trip for some reason in the next few days)
From the side by side pic I saw of the DX and DInc, it isn't really THAT much of a difference. People make these phones out to be a lot larger than they actually are.

Good news is the DX look has actually grown on me after seeing more and more pics/vids of it. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones