Incredible Wifi Only?General

1. Smartphone

Smartphone Well-Known Member

My boys (5 & 7) have fallen in love with Angry Birds. They also like to listen to music. Many of their friends have iPod Touch that they use to play this game. Naturally my kids recently asked me for an iPod Touch. I am not a big fan of Apple products for many reasons so I would prefer not to have the kids get iPod Touch.

My wife and I are most likely going to be getting Driod Bionic when they are released. We have both had our Incredibles since a few days before launch and we love them but are looking forward to a slightly larger screeen, dual core, and 4G. My question is this:

Could I deactivate both Incredible with Verizon and allow my kids to use the Incredible's in wifi only mode? If so, would they have access to the app store, internet, etc.?

I recently prebought them both Nintendo 3DS (their DSIs are beat up and old) but Angry Birds has yet to announce a release date for the Nintendo verisions.

Advertisement
    :
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

yes they can use it on wi-fi only, but be aware that even if the phone is deactivated it can still be used to call 911.
    Smartphone likes this.
  3. Minndroid

Minndroid Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the GPS would still be functional if the phone is deactivated? It sounds like some phones need an active radio to enable the GPS and some don't. After I upgrade to a different phone I'd love to mount the Incredible on a bike or just keep it in the car as a cheap GPS.
  4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

if you use an app that has built in maps it would probably work, but google maps wouldn't.
    Minndroid likes this.
  5. woodynorman

woodynorman New Member

I'm on my deactivated incredible right now.

Pretty much everything works except phone calls, and if I had Skype I could probably do that.

Google earth and sky both work as well, so the gps must be good.
    Smartphone likes this.
  6. mister_tu

mister_tu Well-Known Member

Like sdrawk said, if you had a map that had builtin maps then it would work. Google Maps requires data so it downloads the maps and directions.
  7. woodynorman

woodynorman New Member

Got it.

I bought the incredible on ebay, to replace my BB Bold. Used it for a couple months, but really missed my BB for day-to-day work use. Went back to my BB, but use the Incredible for surfing the net (connected to WiFi) or the camera (which uploads pics to Photobucket when I connect to WiFi) or just playin around. It's an awesome phone, just not the best for me while working. I usually activate it when I go on vacation, too.

I'm actually considering getting an iPhone though! Am I crazy??
  8. MuffinGod

MuffinGod Member

Yup :)
  9. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

There are also some free push to talk apps that work on wifi,
    depending on your set up could allow your kids to talk from one end of house to other, pretty cool for for kids I would think.
  10. OtisPimpBoot

OtisPimpBoot Member

You could always just run LauncherPro as your home launcher and then remove the phone app from the app drawer and main bar. Then they couldn't get to the phone app to even dial 911.
  11. Smartphone

Smartphone Well-Known Member

I actually like the idea of the kids having the 911 function. My kids have 3 full time parents (2 non working parents and a live in nanny) so they rarely alone and I doubt that they would ever have to use 911. It would be great for them to have access though just in case the unexpected happened.

Thank you everyone for your comments. Based on your suggestions I am planning for my wife and I getting our Bionic when they come out and giving the Incredibles to the kids.
  12. JoeSchmoe007

JoeSchmoe007 Well-Known Member

Map data can be downloaded via Wi-Fi.
  13. railroadryan

railroadryan Member

i used a deactivated dinc for 5 days on wifi.. used google talk to make calls my yahoo account to send sms.. gps worked fine.. basicly every thing worked other than verizon services.
  14. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

wi-fi isn't helpful if you are using it as a gps while driving.
  15. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Well-Known Member

Doubt that his kids will be doing that anytime soon since even their combined ages wouldn't be old enough to drive for a while yet ;)
  16. JoeSchmoe007

True, but in some cases it may not be an issue. I did a test just to check it out - created a short route (2 miles), data was off on the phone. When root was created I was connected to Wi-Fi and maps were loaded and cached (Google Maps/Nav were used). I then drove the route and everything worked until destination (don't remember for sure about voice prompts)
  17. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Until you miss a turn, or take a detour. Then you're SOL.

I would not count on the GPS navigation working if you're only on wifi.
  18. JoeSchmoe007

Agreed. However, I played with the latest version of Google Maps (5.2) and it seems that it does cache rather large areas - whole NYC boroughs. Even though all map is cached you may still loose voice prompts as these are also generated on Google server and will not be available if you take a detour.
  19. flitteringby

flitteringby New Member

Hi there, I know this is an old thread, but I am getting ready to kill my Verizon service on my Droid Incredible. Do you know if it would be beneficial for me to Unlock AND root the phone to use it Wifi only?
  20. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

You don't need to root to use it in wifi only mode. Just turn on airplane mode then turn on wifi.
  21. Good thread, perfect timing. About to place my plan on "pause" while I head over to Afghanistan. Any service members bring their DINC to OEF? I'm gonna try to use it on WiFi (if I can find it), backup GPS and mini-file server (easier than lugging around a laptop).
  22. xfuchsiax

xfuchsiax Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just returned from Afghanistan and did this with his HTC Evo. Biggest problem for him was finding WiFi, otherwise no issues at all.