1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Install 3rd party apps to Kindle Fire: No root or file manager required!Tips

1. klukoff

klukoff Member

Amazon restricts the apps you can install on your Kindle Fire. But what if you want to get apps from outside the Amazon Appstore?

Here

Advertisement
    :
  2. wkufan

wkufan Well-Known Member

Will this work for the Nook Tablet 8GB? I have a friend trying to make this happen.
  3. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

Incredible! How did you learn this?
    Do you think maybe you can figure out how to use a microphone on it?
    wardnkathy likes this.
  4. klukoff

klukoff Member

5. BlueMuscles

BlueMuscles Well-Known Member

Anybody try this ?
  6. agadida

agadida Well-Known Member

cant say ive actually tried this. i just dove right in and rooted it when i bought mine.
  7. 0123rt

0123rt New Member

my kindle fire tab was not connecting with snappea plz help
  8. 0123rt

0123rt New Member

its not working what can i do
  9. agadida

is your computer recognizing your kindle when you plug it in?
  10. thecarlsoncrew

thecarlsoncrew Well-Known Member

Here's another alternative that worked great for me.

Do step one from the OP above. Then use the built-in browser to find a link to Go Launcher from the Internet (try here first, but I'm sure there are others if that doesn't work). Download and install the apk file - despite Amazon's customized skin, it's still built on the Android OS, so it should install any issues. Then just run it to start the launcher, and from there you can set up a more or less standard Android environment with about 90% of the 'normal' functionality of a tablet (aside from the lack of camera and other physical features, of course). If you set up Go Launcher EX as the default app for the Home button, it acts mostly like a straight Android tablet, and you haven't invalidated the warranty. You can't link it to a Google account and get those apps, but otherwise everything else is pretty much the same. Use Titanium Backup or ROM Toolbox (or just direct sideloading) to copy apks for the non-Amazon apps you want to install, or just download them directly from the Internet. I assume this would work with other launchers, too, but I can only speak to Go from experience.

The really slick part is that you can still run the original Kindle Fire environment as an app itself, so that doesn't go away.
  11. Drogyn

Drogyn Well-Known Member

hmmm... why install SnapPea when you can just install the 1mobile app and download direct to your kindle? (btw no mine isn't rooted and this method works fine for me)
  12. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

But of corurse - why go through all that rigamarole?
    When the original post went up, I just assumed this person must be Snap pea's developer. Anyone who's already familiar with the Fire (or who has been researching this or other KF forums) would know that there are easier ways to find and install non-Amazon apps.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
  13. agadida

I just use WiFi file explorer since half the time my laptop doesnt like reading usb ports.
  14. Angel5683

Angel5683 New Member

I've been able to install some third party apps onto my Gen 2 kindle fire but my problem is that while the apps get installed, I can't get the shortcuts into my apps drawer or my carousel. I currently access these third party apps via FS File explorer which is cludgy but doable. Is there anyway I can get the shortcuts to my favorites or the carousel?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  15. Drogyn

Drogyn Well-Known Member

install go launcher EX, it'll give you a tablet style er desktop which shouldn't have any issues with getting shortcuts on it.
  16. mrlacoste

mrlacoste New Member

hi Drogyn,
    i have been trying to load go launcher on my gen 2 without joy, downloads and installs but wont open or show in home screen any ideas
    thanks wayne
  17. Drogyn

Drogyn Well-Known Member

Saw your post in the other thread, honestly I don't know since I have the 1st gen, unless someone else has gotten it to work, it sounds like Amazon have been jerks and closed off the ability to use a different launcher.
  18. jbdean

jbdean New Member

Thanks for the tip. But where do I find 1mobile app and how do I get it onto my Fire?
  19. Drogyn

Drogyn Well-Known Member

20. jbdean

jbdean New Member