• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Installing 1st apk without ADB

Thank you for your reply, Mr. Glowy. My problem is I have no file manager installed to enable me to install other apps. My PC can put a file manager on the MicroSD, but the HTC Hero doesn't see it on the MicroSD. (It can display my photos on the MicroSD card though.) Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Trish

Upvote 0
Thank you again, MrGlowy, but as I mentioned in my 1st post, as I understand it, "using adb" means, for me, installing Java (and updates) and then installing over two gigs of programs I know nothing about (Eclipse and the SDK) and then invoking adb. Is this correct? Is there no standalone program which could accomplish this? Or can I somehow extract adb from the sdk and have it work? Or. ..??

I really appreciate your trying to help me. &;-)

Trish

Upvote 0
Hello again, MrGlowy,

First - thank you for all your help.

I'm sorry - this has me confused. On this page http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1310151 I read that Java 1.6 and Android SDK are system requirements for the APK Multi Tool. True?

Also, I have uninstalled Java from my PCs because of security concerns,and I'm even more more reluctant to use Java 1.6 rather than the latest, 1.7. Could I ask your opinion of another approach? Someone suggested I could use the Cyanogen ROM and that it likely includes a file manager. I Googled cyanogenmod and found this.

- flashing a "radio"
- f download the latest version of the radio (2.42.02.10.29).
- f place the radio file on the root of the sd card.
- power off the htc hero (cdma).
- boot into the clockworkmod recovery, by pressing the home button while powering on.
- once you enter clockworkmod recovery, use the side volume buttons to move around, and the trackball button to select.
- select install zip from sdcard.
- select choose zip from sdcard.
- select the radio update.zip.
- note: the htc hero (cdma) will reboot during this process.
- once the installation has finished, select reboot system. now the htc hero (cdma)'s baseband version should now be 2.42.02.10.29.

And in this case, I wouldn't need Java, Eclipse, SDK? The last part of the instructions above sounds like file management to me. Selecting the file and magically installing it. Is that all I’d need to do? Once the ROM is replaced I could follow a procedure like that to install Android apps.

Thank you again for persisting in this.

Trish

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones