• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Installing "stock" version of Lollipop to an android tv box?

Hi there,

If I wanted to get rid of the firmware that came with my android box and side-load the original "stock" version of Lollipop, would my box still work?

My worries are:

- Will the infrared remote control still work? (or can I download that app elsewhere? and if so, where? cheap thrills lyrics)
- Will my box still know it's connected to a TV and allow me to change between 1080 / 720 and fit to my TV screen size?
- Will the stock version of android Lollipop automatically be compatible with the hardware in my TV box, or will it "brick" the device if I try? (the box is a Beelink Mini MXiii / Amlogic S905 Quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A53 / Penta-core ARM Mali-450 / 2GB RAM / 16GB ROM)heathens lyrics

Last edited:
If you've found a version of lollipop that's been specifically tailored to your device, then yes I'd expect all those things tow work.

There is no generic version of Android which will work on all devices though, it has to be made specifically for the device it's being installed on.

You'd also need a custom recovery like TWRP, which again has to be made specifically for the device it's being installed on.

Reactions: Andrew Cole
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones