• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Insufficient storage available. Help!

rubejb

Android Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2010
At times I try to update an app and it reports that there is "Insufficient storage available". In this case it's Google Chrome Beta, which is already installed so in theory it shouldn't be taking up much more space (other than whatever updates they've added) but replacing the one there.

When I go into Settings>Storage it says I have 129MB free of the 1.11GB internal memory. I also have a 32GB card with about 4GB free, but that's irrelevant in this case.

So what gives? Why won't it update a 24MB app when I have about 130MB free? Is there a fix for this?

Sometimes I can reboot my phone, or I just uninstall and reinstall the app and it works. But those extra steps shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks!

edit:

Forgot to mention I'm rooted, so if there is a solution that requires root then I'd love to hear it.

I'm on a Stock ROM (since I haven't done the wire trick yet) and I don't think I have too many apps installed... but who knows.

I'll give link2SD a shot, thanks!

edit:

Installed link2SD and it's not necessarily over my head, but too much for me to try to figure out at the moment. I can already move apps to the SD card, and have done so with most of the apps I rarely use, so what do I need this for?

Upvote 0
link2sd will solve that problem and apps run much better using link2sd then putting them on the SD. Link2sd is a godsend if you like a ton of apps. It requires you to partition your sd card. That can be done thru most recoveries. I do it thru 4EXT. you dont need a huge partition. Even a 256mb partition would allow for dozens of apps

Upvote 0
link2sd will solve that problem and apps run much better using link2sd then putting them on the SD. Link2sd is a godsend if you like a ton of apps. It requires you to partition your sd card. That can be done thru most recoveries. I do it thru 4EXT. you dont need a huge partition. Even a 256mb partition would allow for dozens of apps

Will that partitioning wipe the SD card? If so, make a backup.

Upvote 0
I'm on a Stock ROM (since I haven't done the wire trick yet) and I don't think I have too many apps installed... but who knows.

I'll give link2SD a shot, thanks!

edit:

Installed link2SD and it's not necessarily over my head, but too much for me to try to figure out at the moment. I can already move apps to the SD card, and have done so with most of the apps I rarely use, so what do I need this for?

This will allow you to put any app you want on the partition.. ANY ...........even system apps if you chose to

Upvote 0
I definitely agree that link2SD is much better than just moving apps to the fat32 partition on the SD card since using an sd-ext partition allows them to be available even when the fat32 partition is mounted as storage. The FAQ for link2sd has a lot of good information about how it works and why you would want to use it.

Here's and excellent guide for setting up link2sd which includes two methods for partitioning the SD card. I prefer to do it on the phone using a custom recovery but do not recommend CWM since some versions have bricked phones while partitioning the SD card on the Evo 3D. If you want to do it on the phone I recommend using 4EXT and this guide which was written for setting up the SD card for a ROM called "AIO" but it works great for link2sd.

You should also be aware that the "format all partitions except SD card" in 4EXT formats the sd-ext partition, so if you decide to use link2sd make sure to include that partition in your nandroid backups so you don't lose the apps you have installed with link2SD. Doing a backup from recovery will always include the sd-ext partition if present but it needs to be selected when using the 4EXT app.

ramjet73

Reactions: lnhs2007
Upvote 0
I definitely agree that link2SD is much better than just moving apps to the fat32 partition on the SD card since using an sd-ext partition allows them to be available even when the fat32 partition is mounted as storage. The FAQ for link2sd has a lot of good information about how it works and why you would want to use it.

Here's and excellent guide for setting up link2sd which includes two methods for partitioning the SD card. I prefer to do it on the phone using a custom recovery but do not recommend CWM since some versions have bricked phones while partitioning the SD card on the Evo 3D. If you want to do it on the phone I recommend using 4EXT and this guide which was written for setting up the SD card for a ROM called "AIO" but it works great for link2sd.

You should also be aware that the "format all partitions except SD card" in 4EXT formats the sd-ext partition, so if you decide to use link2sd make sure to include that partition in your nandroid backups so you don't lose the apps you have installed with link2SD. Doing a backup from recovery will always include the sd-ext partition if present but it needs to be selected when using the 4EXT app.

ramjet73

ramjet73,
Do you think he might need to flash the WiMax .zip that you created to clear out the Wimax Logs portion of his phone?
I was getting the same issues and flashed yours and I've had no problems on space since cause it was eating all of Internal Storage up.

Reactions: ramjet73
Upvote 0
ramjet73,
Do you think he might need to flash the WiMax .zip that you created to clear out the Wimax Logs portion of his phone?
I was getting the same issues and flashed yours and I've had no problems on space since cause it was eating all of Internal Storage up.

Isn't that just for non Sense roms like JB, AOKP, ect?

Reactions: ramjet73
Upvote 0
I figured out my issue...

let me explain..i bought my girlfriend this phone, she's on virgin and i am on metro (going to switching ASAP) and i s-offed rooted and romed it....what i didn't do was flash the wimax zip...and that was the problem...(it should be added to the thread about how to get the phone all tweaked out and whatnot)

But it was just a thought....i know it could royally screw your phone if you did it incorrectly....

with the NC it had a 8gb eMMC and 6 gigs were partitioned for 5gb for /data and 1gb for /media and the zip someone developed switched it so that you could have either 1gb /data and 5gb /media or 1.96gb /data and 4gb /media...which was awesome and made it so we didn't necessarily need an SD card for the phone....

but whatever i figured out a solution and it's not necessary to repartition the eMMC for this phone...it was merely a thought...

Upvote 0
I figured out my issue...

let me explain..i bought my girlfriend this phone, she's on virgin and i am on metro (going to switching ASAP) and i s-offed rooted and romed it....what i didn't do was flash the wimax zip...and that was the problem...(it should be added to the thread about how to get the phone all tweaked out and whatnot)

But it was just a thought....i know it could royally screw your phone if you did it incorrectly....

with the NC it had a 8gb eMMC and 6 gigs were partitioned for 5gb for /data and 1gb for /media and the zip someone developed switched it so that you could have either 1gb /data and 5gb /media or 1.96gb /data and 4gb /media...which was awesome and made it so we didn't necessarily need an SD card for the phone....

but whatever i figured out a solution and it's not necessary to repartition the eMMC for this phone...it was merely a thought...
Which thread?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones