• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Internal memory - different issue

gswallow

Lurker
Nov 11, 2010
OK, so I've got 18mb of internal memory free despite having taken the following steps:

Rooted, running Modaco r9 (ie Froyo)
Moved all apps to SD using inbuilt Froyo A2SD facility
Pushed any other apps to SD using Titanium backup.
I've even gone as far as deleting system apps using ADB (and Android Commander) (pointless HTC Sense crapola like Stocks and Setup Wizard etc).

Still I can't increase the internal memory beyond 18mb. Is there a cache I should clear somewhere (and I've done this app by app already). It feels like I've doubled up somewhere, or the system simply isn't recognizing some free space that I've created. Maybe its a Modaco issue?

I've googled around and read a load of threads on here but no-one has described a similar problem.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Did you not download the a2SD+ version of R9? You should have done, and partitioned your SD card for an EXT partition. Then you don't have to move or push any Apps anywhere. A2sd+ tricks android into thinking its internal memory.

Removing system apps only clears system space not data space so that wont help.

One of the biggest advantages of custom roms is a2SD+ so surprised you're not utilising it.

Upvote 0
Have you considered a custom partition map? I am using firerat's method on my CDMA desire right now. I like it because I had 239mb free of internal memory on fresh install of Cyanogen 6.1RC1 and I can use the stock apps 2 sd if I start to run low. I feel like you run into less problems, especially if you ever need to use your phone without the sd card in...

-Dave

Upvote 0
Yeah but with a sense Rom, not going to claw back much /system space.

OP, if you partition your SD card via Rom manager you can flash the Rom and not lose any data.

Just move all apps back to internal.

If you take a titanium backup then reset if it doesn't work, you cab restore that way.

Quick system info from market will tell you if its worked or not

Upvote 0
Don't ask me how this eventually worked, but it just did. I re-formatted the SD card in windows (although that didn't work immediately). Also tried using Amon-Ra recovery as this has a partition option, but couldn't get that to install either.

However, I left it for a while, rebooted and it showed up in Quick System Info as active!

By far and away the most frustrating Android experience so far, and could so easily have been solved had HTC put a decent amount of internal storage in the thing in the first place....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones