• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Internal Memory Storage (EE 3.0)

Slugdoc

Nov 15, 2009
The Bronx
OK - This may sound stupid, but I;ve been unclear about this for a while, and the ability to delete files etc, as root has confused me further:

1. Re: "Internal Memory", as defined in the SD Card and Storage (maybe not right words, phone not in front of me) Pref Panel -
Clearly that is where your downloaded apps are installed and stored, right? Is that also the "space" in which the apps are run? That is what I had thought initially, but looking at the "Free space" in System Panel app does not correlate with the "Free Internal Memory" number in that pref panel.
The free space in System Panel app goes up and down as I open and close apps, as I would expect.

2. What do you all have as free internal memory? If I start with 160MB, how do I only have 20 remaining?? I do NOT have 140 MB of apps installed! I have relatively few, maybe 20 apps, I don't have games or many themes or wallpapers or any of that. So what else is using this space? What do you people with lots of apps have as free space?

3. Deleting stock apps (Peep, Twitter, Stocks, etc) deletes them out of the system/apps, which is NOT the same space as user-installed, right? So I don't gain anything by deleting them?

4. I know apps2sd makes some of these questions moot, but I want to understand.

Thanks in advance for reading and contributing your knowledge.

Many of the android system apps and other necessaries for the ROM are stored in your phone's internal storage. EE 3.0 requires much more room to install than the previous EE versions (newest xtrROM is the same way). Therefore, you have less room for apps on internal storage.

EE 3.0 is designed to run A2SD. If you want to install as many apps as you want, start running A2SD. If not, you will see low excess internal memory and will eventually run out of room.

A2SD is pretty easy to set up on xtrROM (which I like way more than EE) if you are having trouble getting set up on EE.

Upvote 0
Many of the android system apps and other necessaries for the ROM are stored in your phone's internal storage. EE 3.0 requires much more room to install than the previous EE versions (newest xtrROM is the same way). Therefore, you have less room for apps on internal storage.

EE 3.0 is designed to run A2SD. If you want to install as many apps as you want, start running A2SD. If not, you will see low excess internal memory and will eventually run out of room.

A2SD is pretty easy to set up on xtrROM (which I like way more than EE) if you are having trouble getting set up on EE.

I switched to XTR, and now with the same apps installed (thank you, Titianium Backup) I have 60 MB free...
I want to stay away from apps2SD. I am a minimalist. The fewer tweaks, the fewer things that can go wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones