• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] cm10.1 nightlies

sntaylor

Android Expert
Jan 20, 2012
Ayrshire, scotland
We appear to have a working cyanogenmod Rom :)

is nightlies, so still technically experimental, it may have problems with it etc

Here is the link to xda where the first post explains how to flash etc...there is not, from what I can see, yet a list of what's working and what's not. Personally I'm not going to flash until I read a few more results :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2271595

Flash at your own risk, and if you do, let is know the results ;-)

Nfc isn't working!

I cannot envisage a time when I'll ever use it. In fact, I turned it off as soon as I got my phone :)

Okay so I flashed CWM, worked no probs. There's no CWM app installed so I rebooted to it the old fashioned way; Volume Up + Home + Power.

Then I did a factory reset. Took a looooooong time, much longer than for the S2. So don't worry if it hangs on Formatting /cache cause it eventually works. Had some "unable to read boot recovery" issue or something but probably because I didn't do a backup; I backed up using titanium instead. Formatted system, took a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. It's important to follow the instructions, particularly if you're coming from S2 or similar, because the method is slightly different and fails if you drift from it (e.g. formatting system specifically, which isn't done in factory reset).

Installed CM 10.1 from sd card. There's an extra folder called "0" you have to go into before you get to your sd card directory. Installed fine (took a while again) and booted eventually!

CWM Recovery is still unstable and randomly rebooted twice on me, so just had to go into recovery again when it happened.

Verdict: Ugh...would not recommend. Obviously it removes all of Samsung's features; which is bad if you actually use some of them. It makes the infrared useless...and it's way too stock for my liking. Also I'm not sure if it was the System or Factory Reset, but all my photos got deleted >=/ Never had to back them up before...

Back to Omega ROM for me!

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0
Well I'm back to stock as well now. I found Omega to suffer from bootloops every couple of times I restarted. I'll probably just be patient and wait for a more stable version. I was on Omega v1.0, and it's already up to v3.0 in 2 weeks! So I'll probably wait a month and try Omega again at version 10 ;)

Honestly though, whilst the custom roms offered a lot of changes, speed, battery saving and customisation to my SGS2, the GS4 has most of that already in stock, so there isn't much to gain in using a custom rom; and I'll need some convincing to change my mind. Root apps such as Titanium, Voltage Control and Root Explorer are really all I need; and you don't need a rom for those!

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones