• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] 1/03/2013 [Maguro] AOKP 4.2.1 MR1 Build 1

How is v6? Heard its not as stable as the older version . Always a bit careful around updating cwm after a few dodgy versions of it on my Desire

As I and others have posted in other threads, there were a couple of bugs in the earliest releases but were swiftly fixed. Unfortunately a sticky hung around for a while with a warning about it long after it was sorted.

There are huge improvements to 5.x - two main benefits of incremental backups are that while the first backup is usual size, later ones will only increase by just a few tens of MB so you can have many more backup without having to fiddle about deleting old ones all the time, and they are also FAST meaning no reason not to do a nandroid before flashing and risking losing anything. Win-win.

Reactions: GrenW
Upvote 0
How is v6? Heard its not as stable as the older version . Always a bit careful around updating cwm after a few dodgy versions of it on my Desire

I'm running ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 6.0.1.0. Personally, I think it's amazing and runs extremely smooth. Have not had a single issue with it thus far. I don't recommend installing it with rom manager though. Rom manager completely screwed up the install on mine.

Reactions: GrenW
Upvote 0
Never use Rom Manager. Always fastboot flash my recoveries - less to go wrong

I normally use an app called FlashImageGUI to flash recoveries. I think when I installed it with Rom Manager (something I *never* download on purpose) I was running a beta of CM10 (or maybe it was MIUI) and it came installed with Rom Manager. I had to look at it of course, and dummy me decided to update the recovery with it. Never again lol.

Upvote 0
Yeah, not sure what it's like now but Rom Manager used to have its own recovery that was installed alongside the proper one. Never really got my head around this. All it really does is automate a few steps on your phone.

Anyway, typing 'fastboot flash recovery xxxxx.img' in a dos command box has never been a big issue for me. Especially seeing as I only flash recoveries and radios perhaps every 2-3 months.

Upvote 0
Never use Rom Manager. Always fastboot flash my recoveries - less to go wrong

Might just do this tonight. Will a backup made on v5 be restorable through v6 or is it best to delete it an make another?

I think I know what I should do.

From memory the old nandroids aren't compatible. If something goes wrong, you'll need to flash back CWM5 in order to restore the nandroid.

First thing you do should be to make a NEW nandroid, make sure it boots (absolutely no reason it shouldn't unless you flashed something else at the same time) and then get rid of any old ones.

Then any new backups you make will be tiny and fast :)

Upvote 0
Yep, made a new one. Seems to take up much more space than a v5 one. I was left with half a gig after making a new backup (old one deleted) where I had around a gig left with one old backup.

Never tested it though. I've never restored a Nandroid ever but must have made 50 or so backups. It's not that difficult to start from scratch and I've never had a bad flash in 3 years of custom roms.

Upvote 0
I've never restored a Nandroid ever but must have made 50 or so backups.

I use nands all the time. Right now I keep an extra nand of MIUI for when I wanna tinker with that rom for a bit. At one time I think I had 5 or 6 different JB rom nands that I was testing before I finally settled on AOKP as my daily driver. I just rename the nand with a rom name and a date so Id know which was which.

Can I find these on RomManager?

Personally, I don't recommend RM for anything at all. I normally freeze it with TiBu if I try a rom that has it preinstalled. A lot of people swear by it though.

Upvote 0
Seems this one's a touch unstable so they're gonna follow it up with build 3 'soonish'. Something about assigning ringtones to individual contacts.

I've had 2 reboots and a battery pull in the 24hrs since I flashed but that may be because I dirty flashed (as I have done with all their JB builds/nightlies). Think I may just take the plunge and wipe next time!

Hopefully the sms quick reply mod will have been merged as well. Missing that after using it in last couple of flashes. Looks like something has been merged since build 2 that looks promising.

Upvote 0
There's a few bugs in Build 2 causing some major issues, so Build 3 is coming soonish to fix those. Not sure if lockscreen targets will be added to that build or not. It's been in the Gerrit for some time being worked on though.

For those with a Twitter account, I highly recommend following @Romanbb, @AOKP_ROM and @Sixstringsg.

Since this build has some pretty serious bugs, I do recommend a clean flash for the next build.

Upvote 0
Mine seems to have calmed down - 48hrs without a reboot. Wierd but a new rom often seems to be more unstable for the first few hours!

Anyway Whithawkx has just posted a new nightly on goo with the quick sms reply, enhanced calculator and clock and a few more updates. Think I'll flash this one tonight when I get in from work. I've run his builds before and they were as stable as the official builds.

Reactions: Petrah
Upvote 0
Anyone here use the LED controls in AOKP?

I'm currently using LightFlow but would be happier if I could drop and app. Wondering though can AOKP do the following :

- Light up when you have no signal
- Light up when your battery is charged
- Light up when the battery is low
- Light up when you miss a call
- Different colours by contact

Can't see a way to do any of the above but I may be missing a trick

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones