• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] fastboot mode-no boot or recovery img, and can't unlock the bootloade

apoloccs

Jul 23, 2012
Hello guys. I've been looking arround for a solution before posting my situation, but I didin't find any help, so I hope you can help me over.

The fact is that my phone is stuck in the bootloader mode. No matter what I do, anytime I turn it on, it goes directly to the bootloader mode and gives me a message that says "fastboot mode-no boot or recovery img" in red. Beside that, my bootloader is locked, and if I try to unlock it, it goes to the unlock screen, it ask me if I want to unlock it, but even if I say "YES", it doesn't unlock. I can't get into recovery mode, so it is impossible to restore any previous backup i've made.

I can get into download mode, but as soon as the odin starts to flash the ROM, the program crashes.

I tried to erase the boot and the recovery images, but it just says "unknown partition".

Now, why all this did happen?, well I was trying to install the stock firmware that I downloaded from sammobile, and it never installed, the program crashed and my phone got... bricked????

If I could only unlock the bootloader it would be easier, i think.

Any help, please????

Hello guys. I've been looking arround for a solution before posting my situation, but I didin't find any help, so I hope you can help me over.

The fact is that my phone is stuck in the bootloader mode. No matter what I do, anytime I turn it on, it goes directly to the bootloader mode and gives me a message that says "fastboot mode-no boot or recovery img" in red. Beside that, my bootloader is locked, and if I try to unlock it, it goes to the unlock screen, it ask me if I want to unlock it, but even if I say "YES", it doesn't unlock. I can't get into recovery mode, so it is impossible to restore any previous backup i've made.

I can get into download mode, but as soon as the odin starts to flash the ROM, the program crashes.

I tried to erase the boot and the recovery images, but it just says "unknown partition".

Now, why all this did happen?, well I was trying to install the stock firmware that I downloaded from sammobile, and it never installed, the program crashed and my phone got... bricked????

If I could only unlock the bootloader it would be easier, i think.

Any help, please????

Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your phone, but the command to use while in fastboot is

fastboot oem unlock

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for responding. I know the command to unlock the bootloader buddy. The point is that the bootloeader refuses to get unlocked...

"my bootloader is locked, and if I try to unlock it, it goes to the unlock screen, it ask me if I want to unlock it, but even if I say "YES", it doesn't unlock. I can't get into recovery mode, so it is impossible to restore any previous backup i've made."

See? :(

Upvote 0
OP i'm moving your thread to the All things root section for the International/GSM version of the Gnex.

to enter fastboot from a powered off state hold volume up and down ( holding the middle of the volume button) and power at the same time. Once it boots that you are in fastboot mode.

then type in the fastboot command as mentioned above in your command window while the phone is hooked to your pc via usb.

Upvote 0
Try fastboot flashing an older stable version of cwm.

Download this to the pc:
http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.2-maguro.img

Goto bootloader and if you can fastboot flash globally great. Otherwise throw the file into the platform-tools folder. Then open cmd and try:

fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.2-maguro.img

If it takes, see what options you have. Restore nand backup, flash your way out of it with a new rom, etc.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for responding. The problem using fastboot is that the bootloader is locked, the command "fastboot oem unlock" is not working, I can't delete or modify anything until I manage to unlock the bootloader. I have even tried to use Odin, but the phone refuses to receive any information, the Odin doesn't work either. The fact is that I think it has something to do with the phone's partition, because I have even tried to erase the boot and recovery partition, but the phone says "unknown partition".All this mees started because I had Jelly Bean installed and I was trying to go back to stock ICS for flashing MIUI. So fastboot is not a solution right now and Odin neither. There's something I haven't tried , forcing the images using heimdall. Is there any chance to achieve something using heimdall?

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for responding. The problem using fastboot is that the bootloader is locked, the command "fastboot oem unlock" is not working, I can't delete or modify anything until I manage to unlock the bootloader. I have even tried to use Odin, but the phone refuses to receive any information, the Odin doesn't work either. The fact is that I think it has something to do with the phone's partition, because I have even tried to erase the boot and recovery partition, but the phone says "unknown partition".All this mees started because I had Jelly Bean installed and I was trying to go back to stock ICS for flashing MIUI. So fastboot is not a solution right now and Odin neither. There's something I haven't tried , forcing the images using heimdall. Is there any chance to achieve something using heimdall?

I was afraid of that. I was hoping fastboot would maybe work anyway but it clearly is truly locked again. Man this is bad. Were you by chance on the JB bootloader? I'm wondering if that could be the culprit for troubles when you tried to install stock over top of it.

Upvote 0
"man this is bad" thats a very sad sentence :( but that's all I understood. I'm from venezuela, and my english is not that good, could you please clarify what you mean with post? I understand that theres something wrong about flashing back ICS while using JB, and you talk about the bootloader, but that's all I can catch while reading... And no one told me flashing like that could be dangerous :'( obviosly it seems to have broken or erased the partitions :(

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for responding. I know the command to unlock the bootloader buddy. The point is that the bootloeader refuses to get unlocked...

"my bootloader is locked, and if I try to unlock it, it goes to the unlock screen, it ask me if I want to unlock it, but even if I say "YES", it doesn't unlock. I can't get into recovery mode, so it is impossible to restore any previous backup i've made."

See? :(

Is it possible you're already unlocked?
When you get the google logo when you first turn it on, is there a little unlock symbol?
(if you're locked, there should be nothing other than the logo)

If there is, try locking it instead
"fastboot oem lock" that should also do a wipe.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
"man this is bad" thats a very sad sentence :( but that's all I understood. I'm from venezuela, and my english is not that good, could you please clarify what you mean with post? I understand that theres something wrong about flashing back ICS while using JB, and you talk about the bootloader, but that's all I can catch while reading... And no one told me flashing like that could be dangerous :'( obviosly it seems to have broken or erased the partitions :(

I didn't mean to frighten you with that, I'm just concerned that you don't have access to recovery and the unlock command is not working. It seems to me we need to figure out how to make one of those two things happen somehow.

Upvote 0
Is it possible you're already unlocked?
When you get the google logo when you first turn it on, is there a little unlock symbol?
(if you're locked, there should be nothing other than the logo)

If there is, try locking it instead
"fastboot oem lock" that should also do a wipe.

Well budy, there's no unlock symbol, just the google logo. I have tried to unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock the phone so many times that I've lost the account. As a fact, if I try to lock it, the fastboot give me back an advice that says (already locked).

I didn't mean to frighten you with that, I'm just concerned that you don't have access to recovery and the unlock command is not working. It seems to me we need to figure out how to make one of those two things happen somehow.

Well, do you have any idea how does Samsung do to introduce the software into the phone? any testing tool or something to check the hardware and software? how do they do to start the phone from cero?

Upvote 0
Well, do you have any idea how does Samsung do to introduce the software into the phone? any testing tool or something to check the hardware and software? how do they do to start the phone from cero?

Well, I assume they use something similar to a jtag. Although this vid is for another phone, it gives you an idea of what happens with a jtag:

Samsung Captivate i897 / i896 - JTAG Service (Debricking/Unbrick/Brick FIX) - YouTube

And here is a similar service offered for the Gnex:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus Hard Brick Repair - MobileTechVideos.COM

Now you don't exactly have a "hard brick" as many of us would think about it but if your bootloader is corrupt, this MIGHT be the only fix. However, I would like to try and think about other ideas, seems like there has to be something we can do since you can seemingly still access the bootloader.

I know you said you couldn't enter recovery but what exactly happens when you try?

Upvote 0
Yeah, apoloccs, if you cannot get or don't already have your bootloader unlocked, any fastboot flashing command is futile.

The information that you've provided implies that you had previously unlocked your bootloader...is that correct?

Is it possible that the bootloader is already / currently unlocked?

I know that the volume up/down confirmation that you do when you unlock the bootloader is a little confusing (at least it was to me) in that you can press what you think is the right volume toggle and its really the other one. Have you tried both combinations when you try to confirm / acknowledge it asking if you want to have the bootloader unlocked?

Also, your bootloader lock status I believe should be listed at the bottom of the screen (in very small print)...

gack...I think I just bricked my phone powering it down in bootloader mode so I could read and confirm the above...it won't power on at all...:(

Upvote 0
Well, I assume they use something similar to a jtag. Although this vid is for another phone, it gives you an idea of what happens with a jtag:

Samsung Captivate i897 / i896 - JTAG Service (Debricking/Unbrick/Brick FIX) - YouTube

And here is a similar service offered for the Gnex:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus Hard Brick Repair - MobileTechVideos.COM

Now you don't exactly have a "hard brick" as many of us would think about it but if your bootloader is corrupt, this MIGHT be the only fix. However, I would like to try and think about other ideas, seems like there has to be something we can do since you can seemingly still access the bootloader.

I know you said you couldn't enter recovery but what exactly happens when you try?

weel, nothing happen if I try to enter recovery mode, as a fact, if I choose it using the volumes up or down keys, it just reboot the phone and starts the bootloader mode again.

In adition to all of that, the phone is not getting charged. Someone said that the kernel is corrupted, and thats why the phone is not geting any charge.

Upvote 0
Yeah, apoloccs, if you cannot get or don't already have your bootloader unlocked, any fastboot flashing command is futile.

The information that you've provided implies that you had previously unlocked your bootloader...is that correct?

Is it possible that the bootloader is already / currently unlocked?

I know that the volume up/down confirmation that you do when you unlock the bootloader is a little confusing (at least it was to me) in that you can press what you think is the right volume toggle and its really the other one. Have you tried both combinations when you try to confirm / acknowledge it asking if you want to have the bootloader unlocked?

Also, your bootloader lock status I believe should be listed at the bottom of the screen (in very small print)...

gack...I think I just bricked my phone powering it down in bootloader mode so I could read and confirm the above...it won't power on at all...:(

Well I know that sometimes the keys configuration may be confusing, you are right, but as far as I know this is the sequence:
1) (phone off) Press and hold vol ip + vol down + power. It should take me to bootloeader mode.
2) connect the phone and install adb drivers
3) open command line windows (cmd) type "fastboot oem unlock".
4) go to the phnone's screen and press vol up, choose "yes" and hit power.
5) The phone will restart and will show "in very small print" at the bottom "state: unlocked" 8if it was the case or locked.

In my case, the phone makes it until the step 4 and restart to complete the step 5, but it never gets unlocked.

Did you biorck your phone? can you enter to Download mode? I know you wrote that you can turn it on, but you know, I have to ask, just to be sure jejejejejejeje

I've just called to Samsung customer servicie in USA, and they told me that they can't give me any support becuase my phone is the GT-I9250 model. It means that it is the international version and I have to contact Samsung in London to check if they can help me :mad: the problem is that I AM IN VENEZUELA... and they don't have live chat in samsung.com/uk

I really men it man, galaxy family, managed by google are a nightmare. my Galaxy S II is the best pice of garbage that they have sold jejejejejejejeeje... i never had any problem while using it.

Upvote 0
Yep, she's a goner :(.

Gonna call VZW for a replacement...

jejejjeje you are lucky, at lest you camn call for a replacement :p

I found someone that can fix my phone, but he uses another tolls instead of fastboot or odin. I made the path looking for someone who uses the jtag procedure and I found someone that knows how to fix my baby jejejejejeje anyway, I'm going to sell it afetr it gets fixed, I really don't like the google managed devices, I prefer the Samsung manufatured and managed devices. I'll keep in touch to let u know the way to fix problems like this...

Upvote 0
Not fair. Pains me to hear that, especially somebody who's done so much to help others! Glad a replacement is on the way however.

Look forward to hearing how it turns out apoloccs.

wait wait wait... if we manage to fix it by ourselves, it's fine for me... it would improve my knowledge :D

if u have any sugestion, let's rock and roll jejejejejejejejejeeje

UPDATE: Sorry i misunderstood what you meant jejejejejej. You're right, it's not fair that you screwed up your phone, specially when you have helped others, but let it go.... it will be in god's hands... it is not a goodbye, it's just a see you later... dust to dust ash to ash jejejejejejejejeejejeje

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones