• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internet Browsing?

amlor87

Lurker
Jul 1, 2010
Bought a shiny new Android phone (HTC Desire) today, everything going ticketyboo up to now and only a few small questions:
1) How do you know when your not using the internet? It's not a problem at home connected to wi-fi, but going to take phone to work tomorrow and not sure if normal internet will continue running in the background?
2) Is it correct that BBC iPlayer etc are not yet compatible with Android phones? Tried to get tvcatchup, but appears it's only available for iPhones?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!
Cheers!;)

Bought a shiny new Android phone (HTC Desire) today, everything going ticketyboo up to now and only a few small questions:
1) How do you know when your not using the internet? It's not a problem at home connected to wi-fi, but going to take phone to work tomorrow and not sure if normal internet will continue running in the background?
2) Is it correct that BBC iPlayer etc are not yet compatible with Android phones? Tried to get tvcatchup, but appears it's only available for iPhones?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!
Cheers!;)

1:If you want to turn mobile internet off hold down the power button and click mobile network (it says weather it's on or off) When you're connected to mobile internet there should be a symbol for either "h,3g,e,g" If you're not connected the phone will not display any of them symbols up top.

2:Tvcatchup works fine for me you could also try Yamgo Live Mobile TV and Video Streaming

Or you could try myplayer for Iplayer - myPlayer - Streaming Media for Pocket PCs

Apparently the BBC are making the IPlayer site accesable to mobiles but it will only work for Android 2.2 which isn't yet released for the Desire.

Upvote 0
If you got the desire I guess you may well be in the UK. If you are becareful downloading tv as you usually have a 500mb fair usage policy. TV is not compatible with such low allowances.

Thats a good shout that mate, hadnt even considerd that, just checked my FairUse Policy,
1gb a month with Virgin Mobile 30p per day after that.

Upvote 0
Wynney, orange market their internet as unlimited on the panther plans but with a 500mb FUP

In my opinion that is seriously misleading advertising. I am only a light internet user and my desire goes through 500mb in no time.

Their unlimited texts are 3000 per month and that FUP is reasonable to me. If 100 texts a day isn't enough then tough, but 16mb per day for internet is pitiful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones