• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Introduction

Hi everyone out there. I have been an android user for a couple of years now. I have a Galaxy s11 and before that I had a HTC Magic. I bought the S11 a couple of months ago and amazed by it. Being an old dog I marvel at the communication technology available. Over the last 25 years I have lived through this amazing transformation from desktop to laptop to remote laptop access, the early MS stuff - I had a Casiopia 11 that I thought was extraordinary in its capabilities - to various PDA to the HTC Magic and now the S11. I know it sounds like a cliche, but the changes in 25 years have been mind boggling. Another thing about being around so long is I think privacy is a much bigger issue for my generation than it is for the current generation. I may also be my background. I am now retired but have a finance background.
Anyway lately I have been researching privacy issues on my phone a bit and signed up this morning (Australian time) to find out a bit more about whether I should or should not be concerned about the permissions I have approved when downloading Android Apps. It may be that my concerns are groundless, which would be good. The consensus seems to be that if you want privacy you dont have an android device (or Apple ). I like to think I should be able to have access to these apps and retain my privacy to. That may mean that I should be prepared to pay for apps if I want to retain privacy, and this is not unreasonable. I suspect however that the privacy issues around paid apps are the same as for free apps so paying for apps in itself does not solve my privacy concerns.I was reading another posting this morning by another new forum member about the same issue. I suppose ultimately I just want to know what price I am paying in terms of loss of privacy and I can then decide whether i am prepared to pay that price.
My first real query is whether, in giving a permission for an app to access contacts on my phone, I have given someone my full google contacts list and if this is the case, can someone legitimately use that information for marketing/mailing purposes? I pretty much accept that google has access to all this stuff but have some degree of confidence that they will not overly abuse their position of power as to do so places them at major risk in terms of public relations and the impact that a major pr catastrophe could have on their share value. I am far more concerned about small organisations that create a great app and abuse their access privileges. Anyway I will seek to progress this line of thought over the next week or two - the fishing apps say that fishing for the next couple of weeks is bad - and see what comes out of it and at the end decide what my options are.
Hi again all to everyone.

Hello and welcome to our humble Android Forums. :)

Privacy is an important thing nowadays and I understand your concern when downloading apps from the market. I too believe that android is safe and with diligence,
reading app comments, checking the rating, asking around the community and good common sense can take you a long way. A apps permissions should match what they do i/e a GPS apps should have access to your location or weather apps too.
As for dodgy apps, a wallpaper shouldn't really have access to your contacts because a simple wallpaper should have no reason to have access to them and should probably be avoided. You can follow this link here Android Permissions Explained-Security tips Avoiding Malware
to get a better explanation on this. :)
If you aren't sure about an app or it's permissions you can always ask the good members here about what they thing and there experiences.
I hope this helps you and explains things to you. :)

Reactions: GreyOldDog
Upvote 0
Reactions: GreyOldDog
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones