• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone and safari like internet browser and email.

red66stang

Lurker
Feb 19, 2010
I am switching over to the hero from an iPhone 3G. I really like the phone so far, but after about a weeks usage, there are two things that really bug me.

1. The internet browsers I've tried (Dolphin, Steel, and the default browser) don't do a good job of scaling the page on the screen. I know stuff is unreadable, but on the iphone, you would load a page, and then could double-tap (don't care about pinch to zoom really) to zoom in to whatever portion of the page you wanted to read. Is there a setting I'm missing or do none of these browsers support something like this?

2. The email client - This one is very similar to #1 in that the default email or the gmail included on the phone don't scale the email so you can see the whole thing. A lot of emails I get have pictures so having a full size picture pop up and only being able to see 10% of it is frustrating to me.

Thanks for all the help. I really hope I can get these resolved so I can enjoy being free from the iphone.

Nate

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what browser Darchstar's 2.0.1 ROM uses, but it's got double-tap to zoom.

As for the email issue...the HTC widget worked pretty good for me. Some images wouldn't load, so I'd just go to gmail on the browser and that worked fine.

Stock android is just plain....plain lol.

Your other gains by rooting and flashing a ROM are: speed, battery life, removal of sprint apps, ability to put other apps on, even more customizability...and probably a dozen other things I can't remember at the moment lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones