• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Iphone OS like keyboard?

DrKrFfXx

Lurker
Mar 8, 2011
Hi, I'm new to the forums, and also new to Android OS. Today I acquired an SE X10 Android device and while being satisfied with the purchase, there is something that is bothering me.

I'm used to the Landscape Keyboard IOS has, which lets you see half screen, and the other half is filled with the keys, and it's very useful in my opinion to do "live" texting/chatting. Android OS landscape keyboard on the other hand, fills the screen disabling you from seeing the other person has written while you are writting, which can cause a conversation to become like those old videochat conversations where there was always one person lagged behind, someone talks, the other is writting something else, etc. You get the idea.

Are there any alternatives? Or will I be stuck using this keyboard? I have searched through the market and, although there are "iphone keyboard emulators" none of them have this useful (and basic) feat.

It's not what your looking for but "swype" keyboard is amazing IMO.

Swype | Text Input for Screens

It works by simply tracing your finger over the screen and over the letters you want, it is amazingly accurate and has a few setting.

You will need to sign up to the beta and in you phone settings you will need to enable non market apps which is found in the application section of the phones settings.

You can the have the phone in portrate style and type 10 times faster than you could before :)

Upvote 0
Hey DrKrFfXx,
I'm also very frustrated by this problem. I'm a recent convert from iphone to android and this has been driving me nuts. Have you had any luck finding a solution? I've been scouring the internet for a solution but haven't found anything. :(
-sam

I don't know what you want.

When I type on my phone sideways....whole screen is keyboard, when I hold my phone upright, the keypad only covers half the screen.

Isn't that what you are talking about?

There are hundreds of keyboard apps out there.

Upvote 0
hi beau420,
Thanks for the reply! When I turn my phone sideways and I'm typing, i'd like to be able to see the IMs and text messages that the other person is sending me while I'm typing myself. I prefer landscape because it's a larger and more spacious keyboard. However, in a fast paced conversation, it's a hassle to have to hit the "back" button to see what the other person has typed and then press the field again to go back into keyboard mode to respond (during which, the other person may have already responded with more messages). This is what the original poster meant; the iPhone landscape typing shows the recent text messages and chats from the other person as you're typing in landscape.

You're right that there's lots of custom keyboards out there but all of them still fill up your screen in landscape mode. It seems like just how the OS handles typing in landscape.

I saw one forum thread where they used Ultra Keyboard to customize how much screen real estate the landscape keyboard takes up but I failed to get it to work.

any ideas? Thanks in advance.

-Sam

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones