• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is android dying

No not dying, but the Android name is being diluted by the handset makers and the carriers. Everyone wants to be "special" and have their own UI or preloaded apps to set them apart or make the user feel they have added value, but I believe it will hurt android in the long run. Down the road most people will not know where android begins or ends for the modded UI and app stores that crop up. At the very least it will be confusing. Say samsung puts up a crappy app store with a crappy UI many will not even know it's not the real android market, and if its a bad implementation of the store and ui then they will carry a bad taste in their mouth from then on about Android. Also,To the gen public, fragmentation does matter, the hardware and software differences do count to them. The average users i talk too think htc sense is an app that can be downloaded. These things will hurt android in the long run, but this is one of the problems with open source, no one owns or manages the "brand". Just my thoughts on the subject...

Upvote 0

Thats really laughable. Android isn't dying, things are just getting started. Maybe on Verizon its dying because almost all their high end androids are named droid and have nearly the same specs. Motoblur might be doing damage as well. The droids are mostly too big imo. Verizon doesn't have too much different androids. Let get the next iPhone. Meego and android are going to be the best devices especially as long as AT&T keeps the iPhone. Even if iPhone goes all carrier its done with unless Apple does something amazing other than using old technology.

Android is far from done. Although things will eventually stabilize probably after year after MeeGo takes off in America.

Upvote 0
That article is misleading. You can always mislead with statistics and graphs. The article failed to discount that the total number of smartphone contracts on Verizon has sharply risen, month after month, as they convert featurephone owners to smartphone owners with data contracts. That means more lucrative data contracts are increasing with Verizon.

The article fails to account that that last quarter was the first quarter shortly after the iPhone 4 introduction, and thus, there is a strong surge in upgrades after three generations of iPhone users. Since you're upgrading a smartphone user, you're not increasing the number of smartphone plans. The iPhone itself has a cyclical pattern, strong in the first two quarters, then flattening out in the last two before a new introduction. This is in contrast with Android, whose continuous surge of new models, makes sales non cyclical.

The data is also a fallacy because it failed to consider that Android is on all four carriers, including AT&T. To measure all of iPhone new sales vs. only one of the four carriers (seven now since MetroPCS, US Cellular and Cellular South are now carrying Androids), I think that is quite misleading. Android is not exclusive to Verizon, nor does Verizon account for the majority of Android sales. 3 of the best selling Android phones in the US are not with Verizon---the Vibrant, the Captivate and the EVO.

In fact, its very likely that if you merge all its models into a single platform---the Samsung Galaxy S was the top Android phone seller in the US for last summer. The problem is Verizon's Fascinate was the last of the major four Galaxy S to be introduced, and the one with the most undesirables (2gb of internal SD only vs. 16 on others, Bing Search and Maps instead of Google on the others). This makes Verizon the least to have enjoyed from the Galaxy S surge.

Facts are Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon are rapidly converting users with dumbphone plans to more expensive, smartphone contracts. That's like adding $30 plus per head.

Reactions: racdog
Upvote 0
Is android dying
No. Not unless maybe you think the sky is falling. :D

No not dying, but the Android name is being diluted by the handset makers and the carriers. Everyone wants to be "special" and have their own UI or preloaded apps to set them apart or make the user feel they have added value, but I believe it will hurt android in the long run.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion but Android was designed with this intent in mind. The "dilution = fail" theory seems to assume that the monolithic OS approach is the only way to do things and I'm not convinced that's the case. Android's approach is a bit of a double-edged sword but it seems to early to tell whether it will hurt in the long run or not. Android has certainly grown very quickly despite it if it is a drawback.

Upvote 0
An analysis of Verizon Wireless smartphone sales over the past year indicates why the carrier is suddenly demonstrating interest in Apple's iPad and iPhone.

That's all I had to read to know the "article" was a load of fertilizer. Apple and Verizon have been in discussions since before the launch of the iPhone. They just have never been able to come to an agreement over control. It may happen, it may not. Android has nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0
Android's growth is slowing down I heard, can't remember where though

Of course it is, but it's a statistical spin. When you go from 100,000 phones to 1,000,000 you show a 900% increase, when you go from 1 million to 3 million growth drops to 200%, when you go from 3 million to 6 million growth has slowed to 100%. Only when growth hits negative digits has the total number of users stopped increasing.

Upvote 0
Everyone wants to be "special" and have their own UI or preloaded apps to set them apart or make the user feel they have added value, but I believe it will hurt android in the long run.

On the contrary. It provided the manufacturers the opportunity to set themselves apart from each other and let the consumer endorse or reject their products.

Down the road most people will not know where android begins or ends for the modded UI and app stores that crop up. At the very least it will be confusing. Say samsung puts up a crappy app store with a crappy UI many will not even know it's not the real android market, and if its a bad implementation of the store and ui then they will carry a bad taste in their mouth from then on about Android. Also,To the gen public, fragmentation does matter, the hardware and software differences do count to them. The average users i talk too think htc sense is an app that can be downloaded.

Say Samsung puts up an excellent app store with an innovative UI over Android ... it works both ways. The assumption that the carriers and manufacturers are only able to harm the platform is mistaken. As far as the general phone-buying public is concerned, most don't know or care that the phone is based on Android. If they don't like Samsung, they might try HTC, LG or Motorola .... or Apple or WP7 for that matter. To your average consumer they are all different phones, even though a good number are based on Android.

These things will hurt android in the long run, but this is one of the problems with open source, no one owns or manages the "brand". Just my thoughts on the subject...

Google owns and manages the brand. They just don't impose Draconian mandates about its use and application.

Upvote 0
Many people like sense, and I love Samsung's puzzle lock screen. It's all a matter of personal taste. What you are saying only applies to yourself. And there are usually ways to remove apps that you don't like. That's why Android is an open platform. If you don't take advantage of that, why did you pick Android in the first place?

Upvote 0
No not dying, but the Android name is being diluted by the handset makers and the carriers. Everyone wants to be "special" and have their own UI or preloaded apps to set them apart or make the user feel they have added value, but I believe it will hurt android in the long run. Down the road most people will not know where android begins or ends for the modded UI and app stores that crop up. At the very least it will be confusing. Say samsung puts up a crappy app store with a crappy UI many will not even know it's not the real android market, and if its a bad implementation of the store and ui then they will carry a bad taste in their mouth from then on about Android. Also,To the gen public, fragmentation does matter, the hardware and software differences do count to them. The average users i talk too think htc sense is an app that can be downloaded. These things will hurt android in the long run, but this is one of the problems with open source, no one owns or manages the "brand". Just my thoughts on the subject...

I agree with this 100 percent. Before i got my captivate my friend had some htc phone and it was a droid based phone. I didnt like it very much. But when i saw the captivate i fell in love with it. But before i really got it, i had to educate myself a little more on what it was all about. Most people will not do that much research. First impressions are often the last if it leaves a bitter taste in their mouth. But when i got to see different versions, it intrugued me a little more to learn. Glad i did.

Upvote 0
android is done. when the iphone AND WP7 lands on verizon, why would anyone buy android? everything is literally better on the other platforms.

You actually wasted time to join the forum to just post that? Seriously? And im curious... With your "logic" im guessing you assume verizon controls the world market of all phone service? I say to each his own. Shit i own mac, pc, and droid. To say the droid is dead cause the iphone may eventually come to verizon or what not is silly. Just sayin. Jus my opinion.

Edit: unless u r talking about just on verizon, then i guess its a 50/50. But then id have to agree.

Upvote 0
android is done. when the iphone AND WP7 lands on verizon, why would anyone buy android? everything is literally better on the other platforms.

Android is doing really well in many places where iPhone and WP7 are available. They are available in all 3 major carriers here in Canada and Android is doing really well.

Why do you say everything is better on the other platforms? What is it about them that make them better?

Upvote 0
I agree with this 100 percent. Before i got my captivate my friend had some htc phone and it was a droid based phone. I didnt like it very much. But when i saw the captivate i fell in love with it. But before i really got it, i had to educate myself a little more on what it was all about. Most people will not do that much research. First impressions are often the last if it leaves a bitter taste in their mouth. But when i got to see different versions, it intrugued me a little more to learn. Glad i did.

When you were unimpressed with the HTC phone was your initial reaction "Gee, Android isn't all that"? or did you think "HTC phones are kinda lame." From your average Joe and Jane consumer point of view, SenseUI, Motoblur and Touchwiz are as different as WP7 and iOS, even though the initial three are all overlays to the Android OS. And, I'd venture that anyone who owns one of those phones would be initially confused with vanilla Android.

Upvote 0
The data is also a fallacy because it failed to consider that Android is on all four carriers, including AT&T. To measure all of iPhone new sales vs. only one of the four carriers (seven now since MetroPCS, US Cellular and Cellular South are now carrying Androids), I think that is quite misleading. Android is not exclusive to Verizon, nor does Verizon account for the majority of Android sales. 3 of the best selling Android phones in the US are not with Verizon---the Vibrant, the Captivate and the EVO.

i agree with all your points..

but just looking at Verizon to do this analysis... was just plain lieing to the public! This is 100% fan boy bias BS!

comparing 100% of all iphone sales (only on ATT) to Verizons small portion of the FULL market numbers is just plain stupid!

Just looking at the Graphs... you think android is in trouble. this is using a small part of the big picture.... to confuse the public. NO independent thinking individual will swallow this. And I think the person that wrote this crap know this too, but he has job to do and bill to pay; and he does work for appleInside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Just looking at the Graphs... you think android is in trouble. this is using a small part of the big picture.... to confuse the public. NO independent thinking individual will swallow this. And I think the person that wrote this crap know this too, but he has job to do and bill to pay; and he does work for appleInside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually their goal is to attempt to spread press to keep the iFan hopes up that Verizon will get an iPhone.
They are also shooting for media attention in the hopes that Verizon will actually believe this spin and force their hand.
That's why the article was really about Verizon and how this moron has an opinion that Android is killing Verizon and they need the iPhone to keep them alive.

But, of course in order to support this hypothetical situation they need to skew the numbers somehow, so why not exclude Verizon store and call center sales figures? :rolleyes:

If anyone is desperate it's probably Steve Jobs.
His market share is sliding and he won't be able to prop his sales up much longer unless he find a way to sell more phones.

Just look at this new iPad... it will have a USB port and a camera!
I almost crapped myself in hysterical laughter the first time I read that.
A whole new device a year later - only new feature is USB and a camera.
It's new.. it's innovative.. it's magical... it will change the world!
It's the IPad2! How it should have been to start with.. but they will get their 5 or 6 million iFans lined up to buy one....

I wish I had a company that had such a devout following that I could blindly rip off twice a year.:D

Upvote 0
Many people like sense, and I love Samsung's puzzle lock screen. It's all a matter of personal taste. What you are saying only applies to yourself. And there are usually ways to remove apps that you don't like. That's why Android is an open platform. If you don't take advantage of that, why did you pick Android in the first place?

Without rooting, no, there generally is no way to remove the bloatware they put on it. This is very much a CARRIER issue, any many people aside from just myself have complained about it. Certainly some options are nice, but having the services that the carrier provides shoved down your throat in the hopes that you try one out so they can make an extra few bucks is over the top. My point is, if you know what you are doing there are ways around things. They don't make it too convenient for the average joe though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones